Swords in church?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Gas_Monkey, Oct 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was having lunch today and was asked which regiment is historically allowed to bear arms in church.

Apparently, it was one of the Scottish regiments which no longer exists.

Any suggestions?
  2. The Cameronians were allowed to carry swords and weapons in church, I hope this helps:-

The Cameronians were a unique part of Scottish history for over three hundred years. Their origins lie in the turbulent period of religious and political strife of the 1680's. Their end came with the defence cuts of the 1960's; their name finally erased from the Army List in 1995.
    The original Cameronians were zealous Covenanters. Their devotion to the National Covenant (1638) and the Solemn League and Covenant (1643) meant that they would even do battle to defend their freedom to worship as they chose. Their heartland was in south west Scotland, in Galloway, Ayrshire, and in Clydesdale in particular.

When their Ministers were ejected from their parishes the Covenanters followed them to the hills and worshiped at open air services which came to be called conventicles. As the threat from government forces increased the Covenanters began to carry weapons to their conventicles and to post armed pickets to keep a lookout. This tradition was carried on through war and in peace until the day the Cameronians were eventually disbanded
  3. Thank you.
  4. Well done RAB658.

good to see someone still remembers a bit about the history of the Cameronians.
  5. Guid yin Rab. Though following the Indian Mutiny (or for the PC minded the first war for Indian independence) all regiments went to church armed.

In the 1960s my particular regiment attended weekly Bn Kirk parade armed. Sadly the tradition died out in the 1970s.
  6. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

And an interesting point for church services often seen these days with colour parties; bayonets should not be fixed when entering a church as I have witnessed, no matter how highly polished/chromed.
  7. ...whereas the Cameronian piquet officer would march down the aisle with a drawn sword to make his report to the Minister...
  8. Did the Cameronians also post four "sentries", facing outwards with arms at the High Port during drumhead services? I seem to recall seeing a photo of that.

Then there was the Worcester Regt whose Orderly Officer wore his sword in the mess, something to do with the Bn Officers being surprised at dinner by a bunch of bayonet-wielding "Grognards" during the Peninsular Campaign.

All these fantastic customs and traditions swept aside in the name of so-called "progress". It makes me want to weep...
  9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The Cameronian's case for being armed in church is not as outdated as those who would rid us of all our traditions would have us believe.

In the mid-90's APLA, the 'military' wing of the PAC, (read: armed crooks using politics as an excuse for slaughter,) decided on an offensive, planning hits on such hard targets as school buses and OAP's homes.

One of their so-called 'military' attacks was on a church in Kenilworth, where these 'heroes' walked into the evening service and opened up into the backs of the congregation with AK's and grens, killing eleven and wounding fifty-eight.
    However, one man managed to return fire with his pistol and hit one of the terrs, thus causing all the brave APLA 'soldiers' to gap it.

The Cameronian's swords have just been slightly updated, but their purpose remains the same.

Interesting piece from the man that fought back. here.