Sword question

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by on_the_wallop, Aug 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a mate who owns a Rodwell and Co 1850 Pattern Troopers Cavalry Sabre and he wants to know how long was the run on this pattern/design, what units may have used it and what he could expect to get for it off a collector. I would love to add the pic of it, but I haven't worked that out yet. Assistance on this is appreciated.

o_t_w

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I got married in full Adam Ant kit complete with sabre. Despite having copious numbers of sabres in the regiment (15/19H), no two were identical and suitable. The RSM (the legend who was JC) could not have been more helpful in getting myself and the best man kitted out for my wedding to his satisfation, so he phoned the QOH, other side of Sennelager Training Area and got their QM to lend me two identical sabres. (They were mounted on QOH stable belts, but once rigged under the PTU, nobody could tell.)

I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe somewhere in some cavalry regiment there is a sabre similar to your mate's, still on the inventory.

3. Hello there,

This will be an 1853 Universal Pattern cavalry trooper's sword - the first British pattern designed for use by both Heavy and Light cavalry troopers. Rodwell made a batch of these towards (or even after) the end of their service life, which seem to have been produced for some of Indian princely states - many of them carry the initials "N.S. B.D.A" for "Northern States - Baroda".

The general consensus is that the Rodwell sword is a very inferior quality weapon when compared with earlier Enfield or Wilkinson examples. Some even suggest the blades were made of old railway line steel, and certainly many of them have a wavy "ripple" suggesting poor manufacturing standards. On the plus side, there's a certain appeal in having a sword of the pattern which may have been carried at the Charge of the Light Brigade, but this indvidual sword is more likely to be late Victorian or Edwardian in date.

They tend to sell for a max of about £200 on eBay, providing they have scabbards and aren't in too poor a condition.

Cheers!

4. Wouldn't the "N.S" part stand for "Native Service"? Sounds rather similar to the marks: NS~NEP meaning "Native Service - Nepal" on my Martini Henry Mk IV although I may have been misinformed.