Sword of Honour???

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mumbiggs, Aug 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys, I'm a newbie, and have registered to see if anyone can help me find some info I need....................I need to find out if the Sandhurst Sword of Honour has ever been given to a squaddie before or only Uni grads?????

Mumbiggs
    XxX

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

4. As far as I know a number of Squaddies have achieved it, a number of the old Brigade squad certainly got it. I did see a cadet on the RMAS website with an Op Telic gong up so yes certainly it's not just grads getting it. However in the 70s 80% were school leavers its now the other way round with 80% grads.

5. Was told, by a suitably "refreshed" and embittered RMA graduate, that the Sword was now known as the "Least Embarrassing Split-Arse Award" and was the sole preserve of the ladies.

6. Won by a Gurkha too, former corporal, mid 70s IIRC.

7. Who ended up commanding an RGR Bn!

8. In my intake (88/89) it was won by an ex-R Anglian.

9. Thanks Guys for all your help!!!

Mumbiggs :D
    XxX

10. SMC 26.

It has also been won by a Cadet Sgt (rather than a JUO) in the late 70s IIRC.

Of course, in the good old days grads could not win the Sword of Honour since the winners were selected from SMC only. At the time grads did not march on Old College Square either.