Sword of Honour

shaka said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2484023,00.html

Prince William shorlisted for SWORD OF HONOUR

Omigosh - there's a surprise. :roll:

Edited to add

Is he in good company?

Lt Col Tim Spicer is a past winner of the Sword and Field Marshal Lord Haig won a precursor of it in 1884.

B

Brandt

Lets hope he doesn't win it: in my experience pretty much all 'Blades' fail to live up to the expctations put on them and most leave after a few years. I liked the fact that the only recent Blade Runner that the ST could come up with was that upstanding officer Tim Spicer!

Brandt said:
Lets hope he doesn't win it: in my experience pretty much all 'Blades' fail to live up to the expctations put on them and most leave after a few years.
I can't see him doing a full career anyway...

msr

After misplacing 'ones' personal weapon, how on earth has he been shortlisted?!!! admittedly it can happen to anyone and who actually knows, maybe the sprog that took it did it deliberately to mar the young Prince, still no excuses as it should have been glued to him!!!

Gundulph

Did any one honestly expect anything different ??
Daddy and Granny have put the word in , either he gets it or your career is finished
Usual crap where the Windsor sprongs are concerned

"Let me show you the Sword of Honour I've just won! Hold on, I know it's around here somewhere".

OldTimer said:
Daddy and Granny have put the word in , either he gets it or your career is finished
Oh come off it. If that were the case then why wasn't Harry in the running for it too? Perhaps cause he is ginger?

Assuming the story is true perhaps he has just earn't it on his own merit. Either way he is two weeks from finishing a reasonably tough course when he could have just done the international playboy thing if he had wanted to so well done him.

Tricam.

tricam said:
OldTimer said:
Oh come off it. If that were the case then why wasn't Harry in the running for it too? Perhaps cause he is ginger?

Assuming the story is true perhaps he has just earn't it on his own merit. Either way he is two weeks from finishing a reasonably tough course when he could have just done the international playboy thing if he had wanted to so well done him.

Tricam.
. . . err . . . perhaps because he's (a) dim and (b) not due to be the head of state, and (c) it would really look like a 'fix', perhaps . . . . :?

Little difficult to fudge scores/results etc under the eyes of a cynical press corps. Just give the guy his props and be glad he shows potential as a soldier and a leader.

The staff at Sandhurst wouldn't give it to him if he didn't deserve it. These are some of the most switched-on soldiers in the Army, not weak arrse-licking fools. From all accounts he has been doing very well, apart from the weapon incident which has been mentioned, which sounds likely to have been some w4nker stitching him up.

If he gets it, good on him.

pogz said:
The staff at Sandhurst wouldn't give it to him if he didn't deserve it. These are some of the most switched-on soldiers in the Army, not weak arrse-licking fools. From all accounts he has been doing very well, apart from the weapon incident which has been mentioned, which sounds likely to have been some w4nker stitching him up.

Don't get me wrong, i've heard good things about him. He must have inherited some of his Grandads command and control qualities.

HOWEVER: If, after losing a weapon (which is what the facts on paper are) he wins the Sword of Honour over O/CDT Bloggs who has a clean record, theres something not right.

Its obvious that he deserves to be a Bladerunner, but if the weapon incident isn't a stitch up then he doesn't deserve to win it. Simple.

pogz said:

Wot!

Brigade of Paramilitary Wing of the Tourist Board - o - sorryGuards!

Switched on to - what - exactly? Pace sticks? Ponies? Polo? :roll: :roll:

Gundulph said:
After misplacing 'ones' personal weapon, how on earth has he been shortlisted?!!! admittedly it can happen to anyone and who actually knows, maybe the sprog that took it did it deliberately to mar the young Prince, still no excuses as it should have been glued to him!!!

after reading that article this shocked me too, losing ones gat is almost as bad as an ND and f**ks people for life, so why not him.

Praetorian said:
pogz said:

Don't get me wrong, i've heard good things about him. He must have inherited some of his Grandads command and control qualities.

HOWEVER: If, after losing a weapon (which is what the facts on paper are) he wins the Sword of Honour over O/CDT Bloggs who has a clean record, theres something not right.

Its obvious that he deserves to be a Bladerunner, but if the weapon incident isn't a stitch up then he doesn't deserve to win it. Simple.
agreed, I admire both of the royal brothers for doing what they have done, but would any one else win this after losing a gat or an ND or any other comparable incident, no matter how good they were?

I suspect the two princes are being given special treatment that they neither want nor need, as they are both good lads and just want to get on with it without fuss or special treatment.

Stonker said:
pogz said:

Wot!

8O :roll: :?: :!:

Stonker - What?! 8O

I challenge you to say that to the faces of either the former or the latter.

1. RMAS SNCOs go through a gruelling selection process, and whilst no doubt a few make it who shouldn't, there is no doubting that they are very 'Switched on' as pogz has said.

2. There are clearly a large proportion of Foot Guards SNCOs/WOs at RMAS, and you could say that is purely for the drill........but of course there isn't much drill at RMAS is there...? They go through the same selection process all the same. (I will not go into the old 'Drill or no drill' argument/discussion, that's for a different post.)

I hope you're fishing and that I've bitten...otherwise you have just demonstrated yourself to be a complete and utter T**T.

And no, I am not an RMAS instructor, nor a Foot Guard. :x

RogueTrooper said:
Stonker said:
pogz said:

Wot!

Stonker - What?! 8O

1. RMAS SNCOs go through a gruelling selection process, and whilst no doubt a few make it who shouldn't, there is no doubting that they are very 'Switched on' as pogz has said.

2. There are clearly a large proportion of Foot Guards SNCOs/WOs at RMAS, and you could say that is purely for the drill........but of course there isn't much drill at RMAS is there...? They go through the same selection process all the same. (I will not go into the old 'Drill or no drill' argument/discussion, that's for a different post.)

I hope you're fishing and that I've bitten...otherwise you have just demonstrated yourself to be a complete and utter T**T.

No I wouldn't say that. I would say it is because the RMAS establishment was written around the argument that the Bde of Gds don't have as many 'E' posts as the line inf, because thay don't have TA bns.

Since the demise of many TA Inf bns, however, that assumption has not been re-visited, and gruelling NCO selection process or not, the Gds are - now, more than ever before - over-represented at RMAS.

And, truth is, I wasn't so much concerned about the Sr Ranks at the chap factory - as the commissioned contingent.

Anyway - good bite. :D

Stonker said:
RogueTrooper said:
Stonker said:
pogz said:

Wot!

Stonker - What?! 8O

No I wouldn't say that. I would say it is because the RMAS establishment was written around the argument that the Bde of Gds don't have as many 'E' posts as the line inf, because thay don't have TA bns.

Since the demise of many TA Inf bns, however, that assumption has not been re-visited, and gruelling NCO selection process or not, the Gds are - now, more than ever before - over-represented at RMAS.

And, truth is, I wasn't so much concerned about the Sr Ranks at the chap factory - as the commissioned contingent.

Anyway - good bite. :D

:x Grudgingly in agreement.... :wink: