Sword leather scabbards

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by gaetano, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    Can anyone in the forum tell me something about leather scabbards in the British Army? Were they originally intended to prevent, in battle, sun rays to be reflected by polished surface metal scabbards, and so making their wearers less conspicuous to the enemy? When are they ordered today? Thanks and cheers

2. No,they were originaly intended,as somewhere to park your BFO sword when not in use.

Traditionally,leather is easier to manufacture things out of,than metal,also lighter,and cheaper to replace.

3. Thank you,RoofRat. Unfortunately, I don't know what a BFO sword is. Could you expand? Thanks and cheers

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Further to RoofRat's statement of the bleeding obvious, metal scabbards dull the edge of a blade far more easily and rapidly than those made of wood or leather, that and the type of scabbard worn is dependent on what Dress your are in too. Miniskirts - Leather, Flouncy Laura Ashley type thing - metal

5. My grandad's sword has two scabbards, one bright and shiny metal one, with wood inserts, and a leather one. Ceremonial and field use I would guess.

6. Big **** Off sword

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

On a similiar theme, I have several from mid-late 1800's, I am considering whether the application of polish or dubbin etc is a good idea, as some are badly dried and will crack.
    Any thoughts on old leather restoration while staying authentic and original?

8. PLEASE DON'T USE DUBBIN. (It rots the stitching).

There are a number of GOOD leather restoration materials available in most good Saddlery shops or visit a Tandy Leather Store. (Neates Foot Oil or similar).

You require something to feed the leather and polish up the outer finish. Please do not use a lacquer or anything similar as it will crack.

Halfords do a good leather restorer/cleaner as used by the classic car clubs which I used to sort out a dried leather chair not as messy as neates foot oil.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OK. Message received. Awfully sorry for havig intruded in your quips with a serious question. Regards

10. As opposed to what, a bright red tunic and a **** off white helmet.

• Like Like x 3

11. Err.... Tandy are expensive. Personally I use Le Prevo for as much of my leather items as possible. Very reasonable and very helpful.

Their website: Le Prevo Leathers home page

And contact details: Le Prevo Leathers contact us

Give them a ring and tell them what you want to do and they will recommend the right kit without trying to sell you the most expensive items. Can't hurt to give them a try?

Q.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks. It was only to work out a supposition. In my country, during the last two wars, Cavalry units and all those who were to carry a sword, were issued a special, blackened, type of scabbard, just to that effect. Cheers.

13. Having tried recently to put holes in a cross-belt, I can see why leather used to be used as armour...it's f***ing hard stuff! Good luck getting a sword edge through that...

14. It has been known to happen in the British Army, although how official it was I do not know.

747-1-Blackened-WW2-British-Infantry-Officers-Sword.jpg

The guy on the site believes it is called "japanning"?

Rare WW2 British Blackened / Japanned Infantry Officer's Sword (India Service)

15. Thank you very much, Alan Partridge. So my idea wasn't all that incomprehensible!!! Maybe it's not THE answer. Maybe leather scabbards were introduced just to preserve metal ones, when it came to be less formal. Delving into Army Dress Regs would help, I believe. But I'm not in a position to do it. Maybe someone in the Forum is. Cheers