Sword Knots

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Wild_Bill_Frontiersman, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a simple backwoodsman more used to wearing buckskins than blues, I wonder if anyone can please advise me about sword knots. I realise that they were historically used to strap the sword to the wrist to prevent dropping it in battle, but they have now become ceremonial.

Why do some regiments have them tightly tied with the acorn sticking out at the top while others let them hang loose? Why to some have a different end other than an acorn? What is the significance of the way it is attached or tied and does it matter?

2. In most Infantry Regiments, Field officers have their knots hanging loose, whilsts captains and below have them tied up tight.

Something to do with Field officers having used to be on horseback.

3. The Gunners' right to wear sword knots untied (i.e. ready for battle) reflects the battle honour 'ubique'.

4. that's latin for everywhere - or in the case of the Gunners, All over the fIIcking place!!

5. Thank you for that Oscar Wilde, did you think that up all by yourself?

6. Field Officers wear their's like cavalrymen do, as they were most often mounted. Junior officers have them tied up. Scottish officers don't wear them at all (even with Field Officer hilts).

7. Many of those acorn looking knots actual slip along the cord and are used to fasten it to your wrist.

8. Just to tie this one up (every pun intended)

If you are a 'mounted' officer (cavalry, gunner, Infantry field officer or adjutant among others) you should have your sword knot loose so it can be attached around the wrist when the sword is drawn, simply so you don't lose it when your on your horse.

If you are a dismounted officer the knot is tied up so it is not in the way, but there in case you need to be mounted and use the knot.

Tied or untied? Simple. Look behind you and see if there are spurs on your wellies.

9. Why are they so bloody expensive??

10. And then some one shouts "Sailor" very loudly?

11. Can anyone tell me the correct way a Field Officer should tie one's sword knot?

12. As said above...it should be loose because field officers are mounted.

13. As per Blythe's post, above, since filed ranking officers are mounted, hence theh spurs, the knot should be worn untied. This follows for the adjutant of 'foot' regiments as they are field officers by appointment.

14. Forgive me for being unclear and apologies for seeming to have an inability to read previous posts...but is there any detail as to the physical knot required in order to attach the leather to the basket. I have found some instruction on a USMC site but was wondering where I can find the definitive British Army method. Something like...holding the leather in your right hand, pass it throught the hole on the basket. Thread the remainder towards the hilt once befor passing the knot through the loop created in step one etc. I am perfectly content and clear that field officer have their knots 'loose'.