Sword inscription- any good ones?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by rabfan, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of ordering a sword for when I commission, and was pondering what to have inscribed on the blade, current thinking is name, regiment and date of the parade. this seems rather dry and would just like to see what others have done/seen inscribed on other swords?

2. "Take that, you Bastard!" but in Latin, obviously!

I have seen various blades at auction which carry the information you suggest. I have also seen blades with family crests and mottos - and blades with nowt other than the manufacturer's pattern.

3. How about a Viking one?
    "antananantanan" (magical charm), Adalfriid (owner's name), and sword names like Gramr (Fierce), Grásíða (Grey-sides), Gunnlogi (Flame of Battle), Fotbitr (Foot-biter), Leggbir (Leg-biter), Kuernbut (Millstone-breaker), Skrofnung (Gnawer), Nadr (Viper), and Naegling (Hole-maker).
  4. Warented never to fail
  5. "Terminus Est" - This is the end. It's from a gay scifi book but sounds good. Other famous named swords: Durandal, Excalibur, Tyrfing
  6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Louis XIV had the inscription Ultima Ratio Regum cast onto the cannon of the French Army. It translates as "The Ultimate Argument of Kings".

Maybe you should have your sword inscribed "Ultima Ratio Lieutenantum".

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

leave it alone or you will break it!
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

point this end towards enemy
  9. HHH

HHH LE

What about "Wilkinson" ??

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I hope you're joining the household div, otherwise 'why the **** did I get this made' might be a good one!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 'The Penetrator.'
  12. one Lt should have had point away from cats
  13. Knew a chap who had his Father's name engraved on the blade, the old boy having died prior to the commissioning parade.

.........not suggesting for a moment that you indulge in patricide, ere rabfan Senior is still with us.
  14. "Call that a knife? THIS is a knife!"
    "Health & Safety Executive approval pending."
  15. "If you can read this, I've just stabbed you."
    • Like Like x 4