sword info

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BenghaziBandit, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any ideawhat this rusty old sword is (or was)
    Hilt is similar to 1908 cavalry pttern but has curved blade.
    Also guard seems to be missing some bits as holes show.

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The dish hilt throws me a little, from what I have observed the majority of issue sabres have a single piece hilt and guard that curves back to the pommel, the model you show seems to be a simple dish hilt. It reminds me of 19th Century Training sabres, send a PM to Paul MacDonald, MacDonald Arms, who is a member of this site, he might have a better idea.

How heavy is the sword in comparison to others you might have?

Is there eveidence that the guard has become detached from the hilt?

3. I have not actually held it , my son has asked my opinion but it fools me, notice the loop inside the dish? and what are the holes for?
    I'm wondering if it's a 'bitza', the hilt is made for pointed thrust but it has a curved blade. Thanks for your interest.

4. rampant

I'm thinking training sabre after the Hutton pattern, for fencing and training, modified at with a different hilt, the blade does not seem to have the necessarry weight to be an issue weapon, it just looks too light if you catch my drift.

5. I agree with Rampant, it looks like an early training or practice version of a Cavalry Sabre with the Hilt Guard and Pommel screw missing. The more modern fencing sabre as produced by Leon Paul looks very similar, but of course has a straight lighter blade.

6. rampant

Further to my earlier post, the attached picture is a modern replica of the Hutton Sabre, you can see the similarities in the blade, the Hilt and Grip are of differing design but your example shows a grip that would be common in fencing weapons of the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Hutton Sabre.jpg

More pics at the link below:

TherionArms - Hutton sabre

Alfred Hutton: Alfred Hutton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The below links are to pdfs of his Fencing Manuals:
    http://www.thearma.org/pdf/ColdSteel.pdf

http://www.thearma.org/pdf/OldSwordPlay.pdf