Sword Beach off the Tourist Trail - Fire up the Bus

Fire up the Bus

French organisers of the annual commemorations of the World War II, D-Day Normandy landings have launched a protest and petition after six local tourist boards unveiled a new D-Day tourist initiative which ignores Sword Beach, one of the Normandy Beaches.
It seems that the French Tourist Offices in parts of Normandy are not happy with the volume of visitors. Therefore they are dropping all reference to the Sword landings

There is already a Facebook group if you feel that this is very wrong
This, from a pal, who is hacked off by their decision
What they're saying is that, based purely upon the numbers of visitors to the area, and the amount of revenue that the area around Sword Beach, Pegasus Bridge, Merville Battery etc. creates, they're no longer going to include those areas of the D-Day landings in their bumf, nor promote them. What they're doing is trying to eradicate the contribution made by the British, Commonwealth and even the small command of French troops from the history of the landings.

It's purely a mercantile decision. B******ds should be hung.
and

The French tourist offices are a bunch of cnuts up there, HB. If it isn't American, they don't want to know.
Have a read of this by a mate of mine that runs battlefield tours up there:S****t R*******n

Living very close to Ste Mere Eglise and knowing the attitude of the local museum management and tourist office staff, they could not care less about the true history of the invasion, as long as they are making money. You would not believe the corruption which has been covered up and whitewashed over recent years. Living where I am, hearing Sarko's speach on the 'Franco-American' celebration of the 65th anniversary, hearing personally from the military attache to the French Embassy in London that any nomination for a British veteran to receive the Legion d'Honneur will be 'systemically denied' whilst the French offer the same award to every surviving American veteran, it is easy to turn against the French overall as being a set of ungrateful and ignorant bastards. I know deep down this isnt the case but we need those French people who know the true situation to speak out and be counted - Thank you Vanessa Guide for offering to do this - if it is not for people like Vanessa and Francis Paz, it would be easy to stereotype. Only through knowing people like this do I realise that there are still French people who can see through this bullshit!
https://www.facebook.com/secteurmythiquedebarquement

Ah well, next time they get occupied again.... We just close the curtains, take the phone off the hook an pretend to be busy.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Most don't care it was something that happened over 60 years ago and a lot believe we ran out on them.Also when you've been invaded as many times as they have it just becomes another part of history.

I suppose in a way the French in one form or another got to surrender to almost everyone in WW2 at some point.
Might be a bit hard to find a Russian connection, unless you can find a French SS unit that surrendered to the Soviets?

But off the top of my head they surrendered to:
Gurkha's, Germans, Arabs, British, Indians, South Africans, Northern Rhodesia, Australians, Italians, Holland, Canada, US and the French.

Edit:
Yup, Russians.

Fire up the Bus

It seems that the French Tourist Offices in parts of Normandy are not happy with the volume of visitors. Therefore they are dropping all reference to the Sword landings

There is already a Facebook group if you feel that this is very wrong
This, from a pal, who is hacked off by their decision

and

https://www.facebook.com/secteurmythiquedebarquement

Scuse me but wot changed in French Mentality? Never visited these places as never had the time. However in their Books Brits Bad, American good and has been since 1776

Might be a bit hard to find a Russian connection, unless you can find a French SS unit that surrendered to the Soviets?

But off the top of my head they surrendered to:
Gurkha's, Germans, Arabs, British, Indians, South Africans, Northern Rhodesia, Australians, Italians, Holland, Canada, US and the French.

Edit:
Yup, Russians.
Technically the Vichy French surrendered to the Japs too in Indochina and Siam etc.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Latest Threads