Sword Beach off the Tourist Trail - Fire up the Bus

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by happybonzo, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fire up the Bus

It seems that the French Tourist Offices in parts of Normandy are not happy with the volume of visitors. Therefore they are dropping all reference to the Sword landings

There is already a Facebook group if you feel that this is very wrong
    This, from a pal, who is hacked off by their decision
    and

https://www.facebook.com/secteurmythiquedebarquement

2. Simple answer.

The next time we have to save their country for them, we undertake a scorched earth policy so it doesn't happen again.

3. If I was going I'd just go anyway, screw 'em.

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

But so frightfully embarrassing for the Fr having twice to be rescued from themselves.

5. Anyone concerned or outraged ever visited Sword beach?

Then perhaps you can understand their logic.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

6. I'm not surprised.

From what I can tell most run-of-the-mill-Froggies don't give a shit about D Day.

7. Ah well, next time they get occupied again.... We just close the curtains, take the phone off the hook an pretend to be busy.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

8. Most don't care it was something that happened over 60 years ago and a lot believe we ran out on them.Also when you've been invaded as many times as they have it just becomes another part of history.

9. From what I can tell most Brits don't either!

They can rewrite their history books, but they can't rewrite history.

• Like Like x 1
  10. [​IMG]

There is no truth in the scandalous rumour that the French civilians surrendered to the advancing Allied Forces on 6 June.

11. The French had surrendered to the RAF regiment during Operation Exporter a few years earlier, so there wasn't much point in the Civvies surrendering.

12. Because they are of German descent ?

13. I suppose in a way the French in one form or another got to surrender to almost everyone in WW2 at some point.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

14. Might be a bit hard to find a Russian connection, unless you can find a French SS unit that surrendered to the Soviets?

But off the top of my head they surrendered to:
    Gurkha's, Germans, Arabs, British, Indians, South Africans, Northern Rhodesia, Australians, Italians, Holland, Canada, US and the French.

Edit:
    Yup, Russians.

15. Well when the red hoards come or any version of them can we tell the frogs to do one? Ungrateful gits