Sword Beach - D Day - Westminster Dragoons

Whilst looking into the history of 22nd Dragoons I came across several references to A Squadron, Westminster Dragoons, which landed on Sword Beach behind 22nd Dragoons with the Staffordhire Yeomanry. Looking at the Westminster Dragoons war diary you would think only B and C Squadrons, which landed on Gold Beach, were the sole participants from the regiment.

Surprisingly there is little published information about the Westminster Dragoons although there are drafts of planned books and other small publications hidden away which pad out the regiment's activities.

This thread is to make public personal experiences collated by the Westminster Dragoons Association, edited by Richard Bullock who was the Vice President of the OCA in the 1990s. He got the idea fro teh books "Voices from Normandy" in 1994. I am very grateful to his making this happen.

If any authors out there wish to use this information then please approach the Westminster Dragoons Association before doing so.
Lieutenant R.W.W. Bullock
Troop Leader, 2 Troop,
A Squadron, Westminster Dragoons

Our concentration area was at Bolney on the A23 near Haywards Heath. We tested the waterproofing of our vehicles in a water tank at Pease Pottage, a few miles up the road and embarked at Newhaven on, I suppose, 3 June with the intention of setting out on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]; but because of the postponement of the invasion, we must have remained on the LCT for two nights. We finally sailed on 5 June, and our convoy made its way West along the South coast until, in the area off Southsea which became known as Piccadilly Circus, we joined up with other forces which had come from Southampton water and further points West; there we turned left to cross the Channel with the rest of the huge invasion fleet – which made an unforgettable sight as the sun went down.

A Squadron was not due to take part in the initial assault on D-Day, but parts of my troops and 4 troop under Lt. “Sam” Hall landed some three hours later after H-hour in support of the Staffordshire Yeomanry, an armoured regiment which was part of a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Division force supposed to follow up the initial assault and capture of Caen by the evening of D-day; in the end it was held up 3 or 4 miles short of this objective, and Caen was not finally captured until 9 July.

A Squadron had only been chosen for this role at a late stage; consequently whereas B and C Squadrons’ tanks had practised driving on and off landing craft, our crews never saw one until they embarked for D-day. As the flail equipment on the front of the Sherman tank was only 7” narrower than the bow door opening of the LCT, it was a considerable test of the unpractised drivers skills to back the cumbersome vehicles on board and drive them off again safely; the consequences of a flail getting jammed in the opening and blocking the exit for succeeding vehicles did not bear thinking about; but as far as I know, this never happened.

The weather was very rough as we chugged South at the speed of the slowest ships in the convoy – the LCTs; many of the troops were seasick, not helped by the cramped and smelly conditions. Though I was not a good sailor, the adrenalin flow stimulated by the occasion saved me from seasickness – and also, so far as I remember, from undue apprehension about what might lie ahead.

On each side we could dimly see other landing craft and escorting vessels – destroyers, minesweepers and occasional MTBs; one of the latter was festooned with loudspeakers and on its way to create a diversion off a different part of the French coast by playing recordings of chains rattling, orders being shouted and other naval noises.

Long before we could see the coast, explosions gunfire and smoke were visible in the distance and we heard the fearsome noise of 15” naval shells screaming overhead to bombard the German positions.

By the time I landed on Sword Beach, near Lion-sur-Mer, the main battle had moved inland and the beach was relatively quiet, though littered with wrecked vehicles, I saw an area of foreshore which seemed to be unscathed, and decided to flail across it to make another safe passage to the road beyond; however, we encountered no mines. We drove through the village of Hermanville, a little way inland, without event. Most of the local people were so shaken by the bombardment that only a few ventured out to wave a welcome. We rendezvoused with the rest of the half-squadron and the squadron commander, Major Brian Wallace, a short way beyond the village, on a broad plain sloping gently up to a crest beyond which the battle had passed. We had got out of our tanks to stretch our legs and have a brew-up, when I noticed a tank a couple of hundred yards away burst into flames. I naively thought this must have been due to carelessness with its cooker. Another vehicle (believed to be the Staffordshire yeomanry MO’s half-track) came up to help and it too burst into flames; when a third tank went up, I belatedly realised that someone was shooting at the great array of vehicles spread over the plain; there must have been at least a hundred sitting targets.

I ordered my crews to mount and my gunner to traverse the turret while I vainly searched for any sign of where the shooting was coming from. Suddenly there was an enormous clang; I asked over the intercom whether the crew were OK; the co-driver said he was, but that the spare chains for the flail (some of which were kept in a container on the front of the tank and could be seen through his periscope) had gone; the driver (on the left) added that he had seen tehm fly past him. I realised then that we had been hit by a projectile fried from our right, but it had missed the tank hull. (Subsequent inspection showed than an 88mm AP shot had passed through both arms of the flailing gear just in front of the hull).

I hastily told the driver to advance and dodge about so as not to be a sitting duck, while I tried to spot our attacker. A few seconds later I saw a nearby tank of my troop hit; it was not so lucky as we had been, and was hit fair and square; fortunately all the crew got out and survived, though the driver and co-driver were both wounded, the former seriously.

There was no further firing and I later heard that two men in German uniform had surrendered to the crew of the knocked-out tank; apparently an anti-tank gun had got left behind in the German retreat, and its crew had decided to fire off their remaining ammunition before surrendering. Some said that they were not Germans, but from some East European country (perhaps USSR) but I do not know if this was confirmed.

Later we moved forward beyond the crest, and saw some way ahead a tank battle with a counter-attacking force from 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Panzer Division. About 5 pm – by which time the sun was shining brightly – we saw the second airborne force of the invasion passing almost overhead to land East of the River Orne; dozens of Lancasters and Halifaxes discharged their loads of paratroopers, and Stirlings released the gliders they were towing. It was a splendid and heart-warming sight, though sadly a few aircraft were hit by ack-ack fire and one grieved for the fate of their crews, particularly the gallant, parachuteless, troops in the gliders. Little did I know at the time that the arrival of this force was what persuaded the German commander that he would not be able to achieve his objective of breaking through to the sea between the British and Canadian armies, and to call off the counter-attack – which if successful could have fundamentally changed the course of events in the British sector of the landing.

Later that evening we were pulled back to harbour for the night, and my last memory of D-day was of a German fighter (the only one we saw all day) flying fast and low from East to West along the beaches; a hail of AA and machine gun fire was let loose at it from every direction – but the only apparent result was the spectacular collapse in flames of several of the numerous barrage balloons protecting the invasion fleet. I vividly recall one of my troopers, “Ginger” Peddie, with his shock of red hair, leaping on to my tank and joining in with a vain burst from the turret .50 AA Browning gun – the first and last shots fired in anger from my tank on 6 June 1944.
Dear Mr Bullock
We read with much interest the above story, and we, meaning the membership secretary and museum curator of the Westminster Dragoons Regimental Association. May we ask, do you have any other D Day info, eg, names, places etc, etc, as this info will be invaluable to the Association. Reply via this thread or wdramemsec@gmail.com.

Many Thanks
Trooper N.T. Kelly (Co-Driver)
2 Troop
A Squadron

First sight of landing beaches about 0800 hrs – very hazy, sea choppy, dull sky. Young Naval padre did his rounds – no religion mentioned.

Rocket ships moving out as our LCT went nearer, beach looked crowded; presumed this was the right place Sword Queen Red. Trouble-free run in with our ramp going down in 2 or 3 inches of water at mid-morning (can’t remember, but guess approximately 11.00 hrs). Beach not very wide (incoming tide).

Tanks leaving beach in single file, remember weather now bright, blue sky, brisk wind blowing smoke inland.

G Woodhouse, the driver, negotiated some sort of ramp which led on to promenade without problem, we turned left. Noticed one civilian in long raincoat away to our right. To our left was a large wooden building which I took to be a tramshed as the tram lines from promenade went into the building. Tank stopped whilst Cpl Coop, our tank commander, helped our Military Police passenger to get out. I dismounted and P Coop passed the MP’s motorbike down – stayed out until the MP started his bike then climbed aboard tank.

We went only a few yards further then turned right down a main street – tall buildings on each corner all knocked about, no windows. Fairly good speed through this place (Hermanville), passed walking soldiery; recall seeing a sign “Achtung Minen” which had been uprooted. One or two groups of civilians outside farms, but didn’t stop, didn’t speak. My lasting impression was that they were worried/sullen.

Pulled into a field on our left and soon joined by a half-track from which emerged the Commanding Officer (Lt. Col. Blair-Oliphant) in white overalls. Moved off about 14.00 hrs in single file behind tanks of the Staffs Yeomanry. Hadn’t gone far when I realised shots were coming from the right – the first was an ‘over’ the second and third shots each hit tanks ahead of us – at this stage I remember thinking that the next one could hit us – it did. Even after 50 years this is particularly vivid. The front compartment was full of smoke. I opened the hatch and baled out into long grass or corn, then found I was unable to stand or walk. Turret crew appeared and from them learned that they had got G Woodhouse out of the tank.

LCpl Reg Davis and crew (4 Troop) were by now on the scene and I have a recollection of hearing that they had lost a track. G Stedall had baled out in beret and asked for my steel helmet and revolver, both of which I gave him in exchange for his beret which was too big for me.

Next recollection is of some ‘coal-scuttle’ helmets being spotted approaching, but don’t recall the outcome beyond the fact I cannot remember any shots being fired. I was told later that they were intent on surrendering.

Very little coherent thoughts from now on … can remember being given morphia and being taken on a jeep and being in a tented hospital with the continual sound of planes overhead all night.

As an epilogue and after 6 June I recall being on a stretcher with many other casualties … many red berets on high ground overlooking a beach which was being bombed by relays of 5 planes … this would be Wednesday 7 or Thursday 8 June. Loaded onto a DUKW which had to make 5 attempts before getting up the ramp of a LST. Can remember that there were German wounded on the LST and recall having drinks of iced water (must have been a US navy ship). Next remember being on a stone ramp near water’s edge obviously being sorted out as there was mention of Haslar (Naval hospital at Gosport) … this rang a bell as I had a cousin who was a Sick Berth Attendant at Haslar at this time. … recall being on a bunk in a train and then having a drink of tea from an invalid’s cup (like a miniature teapot). This was Botley Park Emergency Hospital, Chertsey on 9 June 1944.

The reference to his CO is worth noting. The Westsminster Dragoons CO had smuggled himself ashore in the B Sqn BARV during the assault on Gold Beach. So it is a remarkable feat to have been able to travel across the three beacheads during the early combat.
For those curious about the source of these accounts they all come from "D-Day Remembered: Personal Recollections of Members of the Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) Who LAnded .in Normandy on 6 June 1944". These were all collated by the then Vice President of teh Westminster Dragoons Association, Richard Bullock.
Hi Mikal
is the publication 'D-Day remembered Personal Recollections .....' the source of the Lt BMS Hoban quote mentioned in a previous thread?
if so, are copies still available?

There was a video called 'The real Private Ryan' being archive film and reminescences of the aforementioned namesake, I did have a copy, but it's either lost or lent. It might still be available on Amazon.

The Dragoons did a battlefield tour several years back, Julian Humphrys from the National Army Museum covered some of D-Day and had some of the war diaries of the period in facsimile form. If I can find my copy, I'll get back to the thread.
As excellently described on this and another thread (http://www.arrse.co.uk/military-history-militaria/199558-sword-beach-22-dragoons-squadron.html) by Mikal, elements of 'A' Sqn Westminster Dragoons ('W DGNS') landed in SWORD Area on D Day supporting the Intermediate and Reserve Brigades. This was not what was initially planned, and as far as I've been able to ascertain, the sequence of events leading to this change was as follows:

As Lt Bullock states in his narrative in Mikal's post above, "A Squadron was not due to take part in the initial assault on D-Day, but parts of my troops and 4 troop under Lt. “Sam” Hall landed some three hours later after H-hour in support of the Staffordshire Yeomanry". "A Squadron had only been chosen for this role at a late stage".

Another allusion to this late change is provided in the Introduction to "The Westminster Dragoons in North-West Europe June 1944 - May 1945": "At the beginning of May, A Squadron, who had originally not been included in the actual D-Day plans, were moved to the Petworth Park area ― also to take part."

This is confirmed by 3 British Infantry Division Landing Table First Tide dated 19 March 1944, which lists 8 Crabs + 1 Sherman V tank from 22 DGNS planned to land with STAFFS YEO, and then 4 more Crabs with E RIDING YEO.

However, when the recent large increase in the number of beach obstacles became obvious, it was apparently decided that in addition to 629 Field Squadron RE already tasked with beach clearance, some special armour would be required. Since mines were expected to have been sown on the beach itself, Churchill AVsRE fitted with Bullshorn Plough and Crab flail tanks were alloted to these newly created OCTs. After clearing mines from the beach, they were to work on removing the beach obstacles by blowing them up, crushing them and/or towing them away.

From data provided to me by Mikal, it looks like all 12 Crabs of 22 DGNS initially planned for landing with STAFFS YEO and E RIDING YEO were now alloted to the Obstacle Clearance Teams, but for some reason (most probably the lack of space in the already overloaded LCT) only 10 were actually included in the OCTs (it is still unclear when the remaining 2 Crabs landed).

The role of supporting STAFFS YEO and E RIDING YEO, left vacant by the new allocation of 22 DGNS Crabs to OCTs, was then alloted to 'A' Sqn W DGNS as follows, with 12 Crabs from 'A' Sqn W DGNS simply replacing the 12 Crabs from 'A' Sqn 22 DGNS, albeit with some reshuffling of LCT loads (except for the 22 DGNS Sherman V tank 'AJAX' which remained in LCT 320):

In support STAFFS YEO:

Major Brian Adair WALLACE 66836, OC 'A' Sqn W DGNS

4 Crabs of 2 Tp - Lieutenant Richard Henry Watson BULLOCK 177312
including one Crab (2 Tp) commanded by Corporal P. COOP, driver Trooper G. WOODHOUSE, co-driver Trooper N.T. KELLY

4 Crabs of 4 Tp - Lieutenant William Sidney (Sam) 'Chopper' HALL 285988
including one Crab (4 Tp) commanded by Lance Corporal Reg DAVIS

including one Crab (2 or 4 Tp) commanded by Corporal LOVEDAY

In support E RIDING YEO:

Captain Colin Bascomb BEAUMONT 134484, 2IC 'A' Sqn W DGNS

4 Crabs of ?Tp including one commanded by Serjeant WILSON

Another account of the first days of this party of 'A' Sqn can be found here:
BBC - WW2 People's War - D-Day Memories of a Tank Gunner: With 'A' Squadron Westminster Dragoons

A pdf version (with quite a few OCR transcription errors...) of "The Westminster Dragoons in North-West Europe June 1944 - May 1945", together with several interesting other docs (e.g. "Formative Years", which includes a mention of Lt Hall) can be downloaded here:

Last edited:
Hi there, have you any info on c squadron, I'm trying to find info on my grandad's tank, Trooper Henry 'Jim' Smith under command of Captain Bell. He took out WN33 which helped towards to capturing of the beach. Any info would be great.
Hello Adrian,

W/Lt. (T/Capt.) Roger Francis BELL (143682), 'C' Sqn Westminster Dragoons, was Second in Command to Major THOMPSTONE, OC 'Z' Breaching Squadron tasked with opening three Lanes (4, 5 and 6) on KING RED Beach. He was also the OC for the Breaching Team on Lane 6 (the most easterly one in GOLD Area), which was landed on D Day by LCT Mark IV 930 (Serial 2425) of 34 LCT Flotilla, 'L' LCT Squadron. The precise time of landing is not known (working on it...), but it was probably close to H Hour (0725, the same as for SWORD Area).

The actual composition of the LCT load was as follows, in order of disembarking: one AVRE (Pusher) pushing a Roly Poly (a roll of matting supposed to unroll in front of the first tank to aid passage over possible clay patches at disembarkation), one AVRE (Bobbin - same purpose, for use when going up the beach), two Flails (one of which Capt BELL's), one AVRE (Fascine) and one armoured D7 bulldozer, plus two Folding Boats (FBE) and two Handcarts of 280 Fd Coy RE. The AVsRE came from 81 Aslt Sqn RE.

Known members of Capt BELL's Flail were: Capt BELL (commander), Tpr Henry W. J. 'Jim' SMITH (gunner, your grandad) and Cpl 'Charlie' BALDWIN (co-driver).

I believe that the other Flail in Lane 6 was commanded by Cpl THORPE.

Unfortunately, I do not know any additional detail about Capt BELL's tank. It certainly was not his usual mount, because Captains in Flail regiments were not part of the Flail Troops (the only officers in Flail Troops were Lieutenants, acting as Troop Leaders), so he must have taken the place of a Flail commander. I do not even know which Troop the Flail belonged to. Do you happen to know which Troop your grandad was in? This would reduce somewhat the range of possible turret numbers for the tank. 'C' Squadron Flails would typically have turret numbers between 69 and 94.

I'm sure you know of this book, but I'm attaching a (long - too long too fit in this post) excerpt for the benefit of other readers: "D Day The Sixth of June, 1944" by David Howarth. The complete book is available here:

After it got bogged, Capt BELL's Crab was eventually towed out by an AVRE (Fascine).

Capt BELL was awarded the Military Cross for his actions on D Day, which was remitted to him by Monty himself on 17 July 44 (IWM photo B 7479). Here is his Recommandation for Award (original attached):

30 Armoured Brigade, 79 Armoured Division, XXX Corps
Westminster Dragoons

At LA RIVIERE on 6 JUNE, Capt Bell was 2IC of a group of breaching teams on the front of 69 Bde & touched down at H Hour.
Considerable trouble was experienced from an un-neutralized 88 mm gun at the Western end of LA RIVIERE, which knocked out two of the AVRES of 81 Sqn 6 ARE.
Major Thompstone 6 ARE, commanding this group, having no support other than the 75 mm guns of the flail tanks, called upon Capt Bell to engage the 88 mm gun.
This gun in a concrete emplacement was sited to fire to the flank and was completely defiladed from the front. In order to engage it therefore, Capt Bell had to place his tank directly in its line of fire in a position devoid of any cover.
This he did and engaging the gun with HE and AP suceeded in silencing it.
Throughout the whole of the initial assault Capt Bell handled his lane and his own tank with dash and determination and with a complete contempt for danger. His initiative and leadership was of a high order and was largely instrumental in making a success of the gapping operation on his front, since his lane was the only one of the three on the left Bde's front, which suceeded.

(signed) W.Y.K. Blair Oliphant

(signed) DAH Graham
Major-General, P.T.O.
Commander, 50 Division

(signed) GC Bucknall
Lieutenant General
Commander 30 Corps



Last edited:
After checking the War Diary, I was wrong! Capt BELL's Flail is labelled "HQ Crab". This means that, by exception to the War Establishment which calls for three Sherman tanks in Squadron HQ, 'C' Sqn HQ (and, incidentally, 'B' Sqn as well) had at least two Crabs. This explain why there is a photo (IWM B6982) showing a Westminster Dragoons Crab with turret number '71', a number normally reserved for SHQ Shermans.

This Crab No.71 might possibly (but only possibly) be that of Capt BELL, or his might be one of the other two numbers usually alloted SHQ tanks in Crab regiments: 69 or 70. Or Capt BELL's Crab might have used one of the 'reserve' numbers for 'C' Sqn, i.e. 72, 73 or 74.

Cpl THORPE (1 Tp 'C' Sqn) was indeed in command of the other Crab in Capt BELL's LCT.
Some great work there, indeed as far as I know my grandad was on reserve and stepped in at the last minute, I'm sure he told me before he was not a gunner but a driver who volunteered when something happened so not even sure if captain bell even knew him before this!? We do have a letter from captain bells mum thanking Jim for what he had done, the letter came with a 5 pound note as thanks! Wonderful!

Thanks so much for finding this out, feels like I've got nowhere on my own!
You're right! The guy on the right seems to belong to the crew, but he's done a great and quick job at "going native"! :)
So there must be one crew member missing on the photo.

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads