Sword attachment

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by norse_yoda, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A helpful man pointed out to me that there was a method of attaching a piece of string to my ceremonial sword belt so that the metal scabbard didn't smash up my george boots - unfortunately he did not see fit to tell me how.

Can anybody help by explaining the method?

NY

2. What type sword do you have - or is this a wind up?

3. Blimey: How tall are you ?

4. when walking with a sword attached I've always picked it up and carried it. Is this wrong? Or should I let it swing free and drag along the ground knocking shine off me boots!

5. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Given that nature's QM issued me short legs, this is my method of not scuffing boots when carrying sword. It's simple, ensures that I know what the sword is doing and doesn't involve random bits of string.

6. Simple attached said piece of string to the lower sling attachments. Pass up sleeve, across shoulders, make a loop at the end and hook over right thumb.

Simple everytime you swing your arms the scissor like action pulls up the sword scabbard thus removing it from the boot area. You have to bore sight the string first to get the angle of the dangle right but with patience you can get it right. Works a treat - look a bit of a prat though.

Try carrying it like the rest of us!

Cheers

P.S Don't forget to go to the G4 chaps and ask for a long weight to stretch the the string to the correct length - good luck!

7. I had a similar issue, with the sword trying to move round in front of my left leg.

The cure (as passed to me) was to make a small hole in the rear of the semi-circular bit of buff adjacent to the hilt. Put a loop of white cord through and loop it fairly tightly arount the top segment of the scabbard.

By holding that in, it keeps the toe of the scabbard pointing in the direction of march.

8. This simple as taught at the factory. Tie an small piece of string (or white pipe cleaner which works better) through the upper sling loop on the scabbard and the onto the sling loop of the belt by the sword hook. this stops it swinging and dropping off particularly when kneel on colour drill.