Switching from Foreign Legion

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Dumb_GeorgeW, Sep 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone know anyone who has done this? - did they serve the mandatory 5 yrs with the legion before switching?

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

There used to be a guy in the RAMC in the mid 80s who had been dishonourably discharged from 2Rep for being an habitual trouble causer.

3. Why do you ask DGW? Are you thinking of giving the frogs a go? Or are you there and thinking of switch to the Brit Army?

4. ........yeah thinking of giving the frogs a go.

5. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

It has been done; look at the biography of the late 2Lt Shearer of 1 STAFFORDS:

http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=3395

He was, I believe, an NCO in the Legion and had done his five years before going to RMAS.

6. I remember him, terrified all us student nurses when we all arrived at BMH Rinteln on our first day! Saw all his photos of life in the legion. Interesting life..RMP..Legion....Medic....not a natural progression I would have thought!

7. I know a number of ex paras who gave it a go with mixed results. Horses for courses I guess.

Get onto a para forum and post your question, you might get some response from actual players.

My only advice is if you are going to do it make sure you depart HM forces legally. If your UK time is up then give it a go. It's only 5 years and the experiences is going to be interesting if nothing else.

Good luck.

Birdie

8. I know several blokes who were there during the 80's after service in the regs or TA here, various experiences some stuck it out others did a runner after a year or two. General consensus was that the FFL was not up to the same level as Brit army, and that it was the knowledge the Brits/commonwealth blokes brought with them which improved things. Company/Platoon/Section battle drills were along the lines of "form extended line.....advance". However, drill / turnout very good, parachuting excellent as they don't feck about like the RAF.

Like I said, the guys I knew went in during the 80's and bearing in mind the large influx of former Soviet trained bods over the last 10-15 things may have changed a bit.

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

An absolute animal, in some respects, and a laugh a minute in others. Why he ever ended up in a military hospital as reception staff I shudder to think. Probably lives under Hungerford bridge eating tramps without cooking them these days.

10. Just can't understand why any self-respecting Brit would volunteer to go off to Africa and serve under the Frogs when we have just as good, if not better, military units in this country. Anyways, nowadays its full of Eastern European ex-military, ex-con types who are only there because they can't make enough money in their own armies. That does not apply to Brits, who can make better money here or in Private Military Companies. Can someone tell me what the hell the appeal is?!

11. And I was just wondering where he was now! His liver probably gave out years ago...and he wouldn't be able to eat uncooked tramps on account of his lack of teeth...Yes shaven headed toothless drunks on reception were a speciality for Rinteln.......The fun he used to have in the cookhouse verbally abusing 18 year old girlies with suggestions and language they had never heard of before...Happy Days!

12. The FFL certainly has its flaws, but it will always retain a peculiar mystique, and when calculated by gain from effort, the leg-opening factor from time served in the legion exceeds even membership of UKSF.

13. Is that because you can speak french at the end of it all?

14. The chappie from Rinteln must be the only former legion bloke who did not have any leg-opening factor for the ladies. The thought...ugh.... 8O. As far as I remember his lasting impression on nursey types was not as a sex god. More of a menace