Swiss UXO - the gift that keeps giving

Chef

LE
According to the article:

It was supposed to be safe but, in December 1947, 3,000 tonnes of ammunition blew up in what was, at the time, the world's biggest non-nuclear explosion.

I thought Fauld was the biggest. Not a competition I'd like to be involved in but apparently it was from Wiki:

Between 3,500 and 4,000 tonnes (3,900 and 4,400 tons) of ordnance exploded, mostly high explosives.

BBC, accurate as ever.

According to the article:

It was supposed to be safe but, in December 1947, 3,000 tonnes of ammunition blew up in what was, at the time, the world's biggest non-nuclear explosion.

I thought Fauld was the biggest. Not a competition I'd like to be involved in but apparently it was from Wiki:

Between 3,500 and 4,000 tonnes (3,900 and 4,400 tons) of ordnance exploded, mostly high explosives.

BBC, accurate as ever.
How big was the Halifax explosion?

According to Wiki 2.9kt, comprising of 2300t of piracy acid, 200t TNT and 10t of guncotton, largest ever, bigger than Faulds by 0.9kt.
Picric acid is bad enough, but piracy is a shade worse.

Chef

LE
Send it to Switzerland...oh.
It's a boat, I'm sure their navy can deal with it.

(If you google 'Swiss Navy' adverts for an adult toy and lubricant company come up at the top).

Just posting this as it isn't well known. Not on the scale of the explosions discussed here but it knocked the stuffing out of Bergen:

Beirut comes in at No6 at between .5 and 1.2kt, so not insubstantial, I am amazed the death toll was so low at approximately 200.
Is 200 the official or the real figure? I can well imagine that some people near the explosion just simply disappeared without trace and therefore the figure could be higher.

Is 200 the official or the real figure? I can well imagine that some people near the explosion just simply disappeared without trace and therefore the figure could be higher.

Pink mist.

Just posting this as it isn't well known. Not on the scale of the explosions discussed here but it knocked the stuffing out of Bergen:

I think the anchor is near the warves, set as a memorial.

is it me or is that nazi git smirking

I think the anchor is near the warves, set as a memorial.
Part of the ship's anchor is on top of the nearby Sandviksfjellet mountain, left where it was blown in the explosion.
Some contemporary - 1944 - photos are here:Bergen så ut som en slagmark

5669190217145808.jpeg

Latest Threads