Swiss Poll

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Herrumph, Nov 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The people of Switzerland are today voting in a referendum which may allow them to deport foreigners convicted of crimes in their country (no link sorry, but it was on BBC World News). Doubtless, some will accuse the Swiss of just being nasty little racists, but the belief is that too much crime in their country is committed by foreigners and they intend to do something about it.

We in the Uk couldn't realistically attempt to do this. The EU wouldn't let us throw out EU citizens and as we have seen so often, the European Convention on Human Rights ties our hands even when we do want to get rid of criminals.

So do the EU and human rights laws really give us freedom?
  2. Many of the Boys from Brussels are gravy-train bureaucrats, but I'd still sooner have them running the country than either the present mob or their predecessors. Which says more about our politicians than it does about the EU.

And as for the Swiss referendum --- that's pure grandstanding by a party that combines the silliest elements of UKIP and the BNP, while maintaining a veneer of respectability and, sadly, hoodwinking a lot of quite decent people into voting for it and its initiatives.
    It has always been possible to sling out non-Swiss who committed serious offences. The UDC (led by a guy called Christoph Blocher -- think Norman Tebbit, Jean-Marie Le Pen and Enoch Powell combined) is trying to get this extended to a whole host of minor offences.
    If the initiative is approved, the resulting legislation will have no impact on crime rates, but the mere fact that the UDC has put it forward allows them to position themselves as champions of law, order and Swissness.

The worst crimes in Switzerland are perpetrated by the moneyed end of his support base, the captains of industry and bankers who dodge their taxes and deprive the country of vital revenue, putting up everyone else's taxes in the process.
  3. Why do you think the EU twats are any better?
    Why is it it that certain parties "hoodwink" people when they get voted into power? Is it such a terrible thing to admit people might actually agree with their view?

I'm pretty sure the victims of violent crime disagree with you, but I suppose it easy to blame people because they have money.
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I like the chocolate ones, with the dhoccy filling - much nicer than the jammy ones with the vanilla cream.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I like mine with custard.

oh, swiss POLL...
  6. Their Country ..... Their Rules! [btw I agree with this referendum]
  7. ^very good post

funny how it's always the parts of switzerland that has hardly any foreigners that complains about foreigners!
  8. If it means we get Phil Collins back, no way.
  9. Your first line rather scares me.

Are you so enamoured of the European dream that you would support foreign policy decided and enacted by an unelected 'High Representative' - currently Catherine Ashton - and the European External Action Service?

Be afraid, because her portfolio includes Security Policy.
  10. Proper_Gander lying and playing the race card as usual.
    Glarus population for example has over 20% foreign nationals
  11. Nine Kantons in 54% in favour.
  12. Don't see what the problem is. It is entirely their prerogative to sling foreigners out however they wish regardless of anything else.
  13. Shame we can't sling people out starting with this one
  14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

we could do this, if politicians grew a pair and decided the welfare of UK citizens (of ANY colour, sexual preference or religious inclination, before the usual suspects pounce on me) had to come ahead of any passing scumbag who decided to set up shop here.

and yes, I do believe the EHRA is responsible for good things - just as I also believe it's used by a lot of people to mitigate the fact that they like acting like scumbags to people and dont like the consequences once they get pulled for it. 'ooh, you cant deport me back there - I'll be off the benefits gravy train and besides which, someone there once looked at me a bit funny, so I is in fear for me life innit.'
    tough sh*t - dont like the consequences, dont act like a c**t.