Swiss Gold Francs, made from looted Nazi dental gold.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by modwatchdog, Jan 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently watched a documentary, about Nazi gold. During it there was a short piece on Swiss gold francs, being made from gold teeth. They had this dental expert, would confirmed that there is a very high mercury level in Swiss gold francs, higher than in any other gold coin, which would suggest the use of dental gold, to mint them.

Attached Files:

2. I'll check under me mattress - I might have a gross of 'em! :slow:

3. Tooth fairy is a cunt, she never put one of those under the pillow when I was a nipper.

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I find that odd as although fine particulate gold dissolves in mercury (not the other way round) to form an amalgam alloy, however gold cannot be alloyed with mercury prior to casting since the melting point of gold is a lot higher than the vaporization point of mercury.

While mercury vapourises at room temperature this will obviously be enhanced by an increase in heat. The boiling point of mercury is 356.58 °C (629.73 K, 673.844 °F) and gold melts at 1064.43 °C (1337.5801 K, 1947.9741 °F) and it is my understanding that the Hg is driven off prior to the casting of ingots and the subsequent minting of coins.

Can any mad scientists out there confirm this - or put me right if I've stuffed up ?

On the other hand, was this a Discovery programme ? Their choice of 'experts' is debatable to say the very least !

5. Cutaway .sir ,you are indeed correct I have seen Hg used to recover gold dust from sediments then then heated to drive off the Hg ,the Hg was recovered using a condenser, unfortunatly in places such as the Philpinnes they dont always recover the merc and there have been many fatalities where workers have inhaled the vapour. If the Discovery theroy held then there would be a lot of gold around contaminated with Hg through this method of recovery .

WW

6. I believe this `doc` was on Sky History Channel. The `expert` was looking at a gold franc under a microscope, if that makes any differance to the mercury theory or not, I could say. Just out of interest would trace elements be left behind by the mercury, thus leading to this conclusion, or does it all just burn off as it where?

7. Is this the documentary, you were refering to?........

Follow the decades-long quest to return stolen WWII riches to their rightful owners

Hear from experts like Ian Sayer, co-author of ""Nazi Gold,"" and Edgar Bronfman, president of the World Jewish Council.
    Trace the money from the Reichstag and secret Swiss accounts to its rightful owners.
    Among the many casualties of World War II was a significant portion of Europe's gold reserves. In the early days of the war, Hitler systematically plundered the treasuries and banks of the nations he conquered--but the utter destruction of Germany made tracking this vast wealth seem an impossible task.

From drained wealth of nations to the family heirlooms and gold fillings taken from the victims of the Holocaust, DEAD MEN'S SECRETS traces sixty years of efforts to reclaim the lost riches of a continent. Experts like Irwin Cotler, who chaired an enquiry into the topic, shed light on the convoluted path taken by the many missing fortunes, while former soldiers, bank guards and survivors put a human face on this fascinating tale.

Attached Files:

• __1.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I've not yet seen the 'documentary,' but is this the same Irwin Cotler who was the Canadian Minister of Justice ?

9. Yes this is the doc, not sure about Irwin Cotler, but I`ve read Ian Sayers book Nazi Gold and would recomend it if your into the whole Nazi Gold thing?

Attached Files:

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I'll probably take a look at some stage, but it's not a case I'm particularly taken by.

I remain interested and open to persuasion by evidence, but some of the arguments are so transparent that the whole idea seems to smack of people seeing what they can get.

I hope soon to bring a case against France, (or better yet the Scandawegians,) for compensation and nearly two thousand years of back rent for the lands swiped from my ancestors by Bill the Conk.
    It'd make as much sense.

11. I`ve been thinking about the Mercury being burnt off theory. But I`m confused, as to how this would happen if the dental gold contains mercury how has it not been burnt off, during the making of the teeth?

12. Have been told this.....

The Swiss national bank (SNB) minted 20’008’813 gold coins, so called "VRENELI" (not francs) from 1945-1947, using goldbars, which were already in possession of the SNB before 1939.

As a result of the Washington treaties 1946, the Swiss handed out 250 Mio Francs in Gold to the Americans for the "redevelopment of Europe". The allied declared this would satisfy all claims toward the SNB for their gold trades during WWII. According to some sources this gold is still in N.Y., meanwhile the Swiss had to pay again 50 years later

13. How many gold teeth/tooth fillings are needed to make a single Swiss gold Franc?
    How many of these coins have been made?
    Did they make a batch of coins just from gold teeth or was it mixed in with gold from other sources?

There is no doubt that the Nazi's stole gold, including teeth. I'd assume that gold they had stolen from other sources would outweigh that taken from teeth.

14. I can only assume that all the gold teeth, where smelted down into bars, these bars where then numbered by the Swiss, who then at sometime later used them for the coins. Knowing perhaps that these bars had once been teeth?

Attached Files:

15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I'd be surprised if the mint kept gold amalgum seperate from other types of gold to make specially numbered ingots.
    I would be more inclined to believe that the majority of gold from the KZ camps came from jewelery owned by the unforunate inmates.

Any reason you're pushing this idea so hard ?