Swiss Des: Letter to the Telegraph

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. here click on "Spending money on defence is vital":

2. So similar to many other recipients of Labour's 'extra' investment. A 'huge amount of cash' and bugger all to show for it.

3. So Labour is spending more money then ever before on the defence budget, and operations are being paid for out of HM Treasury reserve.

So how is it that our forces have been consistently under equipped on the battlefield and MOD real estate is in the poorest condition in living memory?

Knowing just how good the Labour party is at keeping its own finances in order, is it any wonder that so many, have so little faith in their ability to manage our nations defence expenditure?

Could we have a PFI adjusted figure for the defence spend – and see just how much is left once the sacred cows of the British defence industry have been propped up out of the oft quoted £500m?

4. I'm surprised that the Torygraph printed it - a classic example of spin in action.

Perhaps the end of the Cold War and the demands for a peace dividend based on radical cutbacks in the armed forces (most loudly trumpeted from the then-Opposition benches) might have had something to do with that?

And unless I've missed something, I don't recall the last Tory administration committing the UK to simultaneous conflicts while cutting back, real terms increases or not.

The effects of RAB and efficiency savings (granted not entirely a Labour productions plc idea) which are complicated and hard to explain clearly to the general public get lost in the mantra of 'in real terms' increases, etc, etc.