Swiss army Darwin Award

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Poor_Bloody_Infantry, Dec 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From:

I don't suppose anyone can authenticate this?
  2. Do the Swiss actually have an army? I know they have the knives and those blokeys that gaurd the pope but i thought switzerland only had a militia?
  3. Militia - maybe but would you screw around with that many heavily armed militiamen?
  4. Switzerland has a militia system, whereby every able bodied male is required to serve either in the militia (or in some weirdo civilian community service) for an initial period of six months in the ranks (recruit training - everyone begins as a private), then for three weeks every two years for a refresher course. Senior ranks are required to serve for longer periods of time and at shorter intervals.

The story sounds possible and not unusual, but not recent. They've calmed down of late, as the militia has been drastically downsized since 1995. Up to then, up to ten fatalities per recruits course were considered acceptable, but that was ten years ago. Saint-Maurice is a base for the grenadiers, which are the Swiss commando types, which lends more truth to the story. Also, on refresher courses, live ammunition is used and rifles are taken home afterwards, with 300 rounds of ammunition. Druggies make good money selling their rifles and ammo to Eastern European drug dealers.

Finally, the lieutenant's behaviour sounds quite like what those blokes would do. Must have worked in a bank in between courses.
  5. I stand corrected. I was just giggling over seeing those dudes who look after the pope on the range in full garb.
  6. Done an exercise with them. They are well uptight. The Austrians however were decent sorts, if a bit hirsute
  7. Possibly a lot of truth in that comment. One if my clients was a big Swiss insurer. Someof these insurters told me that a lot of the informal deal making and patronage we associate with the gof club or masonics the swiss do through the Army. Rank in the army carries weight in business.
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You're saying the lieutenant was a banker?

Sounds close enough to me.