Swine Flu in Catterick Garrison

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed a case of swine flu at Catterick Garrison, Europe's biggest Army base.

A soldier is under quarantine at the base, where several other squaddies are also believed to be undergoing tests.

The soldier was based at Vimy Barracks and worked alongside scores of other servicemen and women.

A spokesman said the latest victim had mild symptoms and their condition was not giving cause for concern.

However, officers have ordered a clampdown on routine contacts -- with several contractors told not to visit the base until the swine flu alert is over.

The barracks has a population of around 12,000 service personnel and any outbreak would be a cause for serious concern with so many men and women working closely together.

linky

Happened days ago, I was surprised the news has taken so long to get out. I was expecting a leak before an official announcement to be honest. Damn I could have made some money out of this one... DOH!

BBC
A case of swine flu has been confirmed at Catterick Garrison - the UK Army's largest base.

The soldier has "mild symptoms" after coming into contact with an infected person while away from the North Yorkshire base.

He has been isolated in the camp's medical centre. An Army spokesman said it was "business as usual" at the base.

Three of the soldier's colleagues also have symptoms and are being given precautionary anti-viral treatment.

It is not confirmed they have the virus.

The base accommodates about 10,000 military personnel and another 4,000 family members.

Under plans announced by the Ministry of Defence in 2005, its population is expected to grow to more than 25,000 by 2020.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/8087863.stm

Had been waiting for this, he is a recruit isnt he? Are we more at risk than the general public because we work and live so closely with each other?

wouldn't worry about it I am just about over my bout of it and the good lady beagle was diagnosed on thursday. It isn't as bad as everyone thinks just like a bad cold really lots of headaches, sneezes and the trots for a couple of days. Good excuse for a couple of days off though :D
over the top journalism, civvy panic. Many people die with complications from normal flu every year, don't think that there have been any deaths here yet have there?

Army_Rizzle said:
Had been waiting for this, he is a recruit isnt he? Are we more at risk than the general public because we work and live so closely with each other?
If you are a recruit why are you;

1. Trying to tranfer to the RAF?

2. Being investigated by SiB?

3. Being posted on Telic to "strip vehicles of CES"?

4. Whining about Unicom?

Doesn't sound very recruity to me.

His email addy sez hes not a recruit.

If it is anything like the '57/'58 Asian Flu pandemic, then I suspect it will go through the camp like wildfire. IIRC by the time I came out of sickbay after 2 days, [ being the first on camp to get it,] another 1000 lads had caught it. If not then It's probably not as virulent as written about.

CQMS said:
Army_Rizzle said:
If you are a recruit why are you;

1. Trying to tranfer to the RAF?

2. Being investigated by SiB?

3. Being posted on Telic to "strip vehicles of CES"?

4. Whining about Unicom?

Doesn't sound very recruity to me.
Wow, you realy have nothing better to do than link to my old topics. Take a look outside the window, yes thatd the world, go and explore it instead of your keyboard.

When did I ever say I was a recruit?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0
rockape34 The Intelligence Cell 10
NigG Miscellaneous Jokes 1