Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by The_Green_Manalishi, Mar 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm working on my fitness at the moment, and need to know a few things about swimming. I've just done a 1.5 km swim, which is my first swim since before Christmas, and hope to do this at least once a week, preferrably twice if I can. Is this a good distance to train, or should I try to push it up a bit?

I found from a strength point of view 1.5 km was fine, but I did start to cramp up in my left leg towards the end of the session. Will this reduce as I get fitter or is there something wrong with my technique?

I've been concentrating on the front crawl, only changing to breast stroke for two or three lengths when I started to get too tired. Is this a good idea or should I try to alternate strokes more?

Thanks for your help.
  2. The cramp could be caused by anything from using muscles that you're only just getting used to exercising to the temperature of the water. Regarding technique, if you've never been shown how to properly execute swimming strokes (or it's been a long time since you learnt) then it's quite possible that you're not moving with the right coordination or extension, so I think it's worth booking a few lessons with a swimming coach.
  3. That might be a good idea. My university has just opened a new pool that offers lessons, so I might go down some day soon (different campus, I'll have to make time to do it) and register for lessons. I haven't had proper lessons in ten years, although I would consider myself quite a strong swimmer.
  4. It's possible that you're keeping all of your muscles tensed whereas you should be fully extending your back, neck and limbs in a relaxed fashion and properly coordinating your breathing with your movements to make your motion fluid. I occasionally tense up (usually because I'm working through problems in my head as I swim) and if I realise I'm doing this I make myself swim a couple of lengths slightly slower when I concentrate on nothing but extension and technique and I find that this generally relaxes me.