Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Extreme_D, Jul 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently started swimming again and I'm doing between 50 and 75 lengths per session (1 hour). I'm doing a ratio of 2:1 in favour of breast stroke, with the other stroke being front crawl.

I met some guy who 'claims' he was a Navy Seal (if you saw him you'd understand my scepticism) and he says I should scrap the front crawl and replace it to side stroke on a ratio of 7:1 in favour of the breast stroke.

Does anyone have any opinions/advice on this?

I don't really see how side stroke is useful apart from in open water...eventually I would like to take the Army divers course, but for fitness purposes is sidestroke worthwhile?
  2. Fuk, I could'nt swim when I signed up, and can't swim now!
  3. It builds up other muscles not used in the other strokes, so you might aswell incorporate it into your regime.

Other than that i would go for frontcrawl as the base of your training and intersperese it with the other stokes as the slow period of a fartlek training session (one fast one slow)
  4. Get a life guard to give you a few tips or even go to a swimming club , you will be amazed at how much effort and energy you waste using poor technique . I swim 5 days a week at a 50 m pool if you are swimming to improve your fitness just beast yourself , if you want to improve your swimming get some proper advice you will be amazed how much better you will . Sounds daft but when using breast stroke try to swim'' down hill'' try it you will see what i mean .
  5. Go by boat.