swimming

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by minime83, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    Just wondering do you have to complete a swimming test when joining ta. if you do what does it involve.
    i have a very basic level of swimming and struggle to even tread water! How do i go about correcting this?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. There is no requirement to pass one upon joining. And you won't do one during basic training, it will be up to your unit and if something specific comes up on the training program.
    For example, if there is an Adventure Training package like canoeing then your unit may decide to do an MST beforehand.

I'm turd in the water too. I've only done one MST, and failed, in my time in. I have never learned to do breastroke or tread water (Though I can front crawl).

But as I mentioned - There's no requirement upon joining to do the test and you won't see one during your training. So there's plenty of time to learn when, or if, you need to.

3. Weekend 4 we did a swim test of sorts, 2 min tread water and 2 lengths of the baths. If you pass it your marked as a swimmer if you dont your marked as a non swimmer.

Just let the PTI know you are not a strong swimmer ...

4. You need the likes of Les Stopher, a JLR RAC legend

5. Tell us more then.

6. You should do a swimming test at least once. You don't gain anything from passing, nor do you lose anything by failing. It's just so that the Army has an indication of your capabilities.

I'd strongly advise that you learn to swim, though. Not only could it save your life, but you'll also find that there are a lot more adventurous activities that you'll be able to take part in. Not being able to swim doesn't mean that you won't end up in water deeper than your height - you don't get out of it that easily.

7. And it is quite difficult to make you do this in the TA. They have trialled it during Phase 1 Trg, but took too much time out of the programme, and it isn't always easy to book a suitable pool.

Military swim test is easy, involves wearing comabt trousers and shirt (which'll be one size fits all - honest!), jump in the pool and tread water for 2 mins, then swim 50 metres in 4mins, then climb out of the pool without using the ladder.

If you are a weak or non-swimmer, there is money available to train you to attend swimming lessons (I will caveat this and say that this is as I was told by my Bde SMI), all you need to do is make yourself known to the Bde SMI at your RTC. He doesn't hold the money but will be able to point your unit in the right direction.

8. Swimming's really important on Herrick. You should focus on this and improve your swimming - you'll need it out there.

Don't forget to tie a knot in your pyjama bottoms and then blow them up as floats.

9. Then lob 10p in and go fetch :D

10. Yeah, I can't think of a single reason why being able to swim may be useful on ops. Do you reckon you would float wearing body armour? How about if your vehicle rolled into a river in the pitch black, would being able to swim be a bonus then?

Stick to your prophecies of doom Pte Frazer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/BritishTroopsRescueLocalAfghansFromFloods.htm

Source

To the OP, get down to your local pool and have a couple of lessons. It actually takes very little effort to tread water, you just need to have the right technique. People tend to fall down when they get a mouthful of water and panic. Once you are confident in the water it will all get a lot easier.

You don't need to be able to swim like a fish, but I would say the ability to get yourself out of the water is a must.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

To add on to spaz's post: Before deploying, battalions will go through a number of physical tests such as ACFTs and MST, which everyone is supposed to pass. I know of at least a couple of blokes who could barely swim and failed their MSTs, but still deployed. The biggest threat of drowning in Helmand comes from crossing the canals and irrigation ditches in the 'Green Zone' that borders the Helmand River.

Obviously an MST is not going to simulate falling into a mucking irrigation ditch with 85lbs of weight on, but there are drills that deal with dragging blokes out of the oggin and being able to swim helps you to not panic and make things worse. It's a rare occurrence, but does happen, especially when you consider that most of the footbridges across these waterways are just branches. Hopefully, the only time you use your swimming skills is when you dive into the river that flows through FOB Jackson to cool off.

Like spaz said, ignore MrTracey's sarcasm. This the closest he's been to anything Afghan:
    [​IMG]

12. The last ones I've done were with our own kit and didn't require their removal, but in one of the first we were given coveralls that were about 2 sizes too small and had to remove them to make floats. It's bad enough removing well-fitting dry coveralls, but when they're too small and wet...

13. I had to do a MST when i joined up but it was only cause there were REs with us and they said it was a requirement for them to pass it. Not hard as said before tread water 2mins then 2 lengths in 4mins in shirt and trousers

14. They must have been RE Divers, then. Even then, I'm not sure that it's an operational requitrement that they come back up once they've finished their task. ;)

(Though it would save the SQMS from having to drag the waters to recover the kit)

15. Anyone who is to be crew on a water-borne craft must be a MST qualified swimmer. Watermanship is a basic skill for RE