Swimming Test

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Happy memory of 1971 when new re-formed TA unit in new green combats go to local pool for a test.By the end of the evening the water had gone green and pool had to be refilled.

War Hero
Happy memory of 1971 when new re-formed TA unit in new green combats go to local pool for a test.By the end of the evening the water had gone green and pool had to be refilled.
Polluted civilian pool from gungy army kit is why they now have the two version of the AST I mentioned above!

Speedo budgie smugglers only for the civi pool because of the cost and time of cleaning and refilling.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Note that the swimming test is possibly the easiest physical test you will ever do in the Army or anywhere else for that matter.

All you have to do (unless things have changed!) is tread water for a bit and swim about 50 metres - using the technique (or lack of it) of your choice.

Take a couple of lessons first and it'll be a swan.

I suffer from negative buoyancy - or at least I did. There was a picture of me sinking in the Dead Sea whilst trying to do the 'read a book whilst floating' tourist thing. Sadly, my wife stored my photos in a leaking shed and it turned out that the photos couldn't swim either.

My glorious military career was entirely swim test-free, apart from a trying episode in my teens as an RAF cadet where I resolutely doggy-paddled my way to victory, taking a considerable amount of time and subject to the PTI shouting 'Well done Captain Webb' as I finally reached port.

Latest Threads