Swimming Test

Hi, does anyone know what happens on the day of the swimming test if I turn up unable to swim and will this affect my future in the army

My roommate at RMAS attempted the swim test having failed to tell anyone that he couldn’t swim.

Given that we entered the pool from the 3m board dressed in denims and carrying rifle, helmet and boots, he went straight to the bottom and stayed there until pulled out by a PTI with a boathook.

He subsequently did swimming lessons before a re-take.

If you can’t swim, take lessons - please - before attempting the test and tell people.

I gave my roommate 10 out of 10 for courage but also the same score for stupidity.

One thing must ye remember about the swim test...... your attempt will NEVER be recorded by the system. It doesn't matter how many times you do it, it will keep coming up, year after year, that you haven't done it, so you must do it this time.
Trust me

Joined too late fella, Try turning up for your swimming lessons as a 16 yr old at 06:00 at the old pool in Arborfield in your finest George Best PT shorts when Sharron Davies is just finishing her practice. How quickly did you become King Neptune!

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
Note that the swimming test is possibly the easiest physical test you will ever do in the Army or anywhere else for that matter.

All you have to do (unless things have changed!) is tread water for a bit and swim about 50 metres - using the technique (or lack of it) of your choice.

Take a couple of lessons first and it'll be a swan.

My roommate at RMAS attempted the swim test having failed to tell anyone that he couldn’t swim.

Given that we entered the pool from the 3m board dressed in denims and carrying rifle, helmet and boots, he went straight to the bottom and stayed there until pulled out by a PTI with a boathook.

If you can’t swim, take lessons - please - before attempting the test and tell people.

I gave my roommate 10 out of 10 for courage but also the same score for stupidity.
When was this? I was utterly sh*te at swimming; but at RMAS there were plenty of lessons before doing any sort of test - and the getting in to the water in boots with rifle etc didn't happen until some way down the line. There's no way (in my time) you could have got to that stage without your swimming having already being assessed by the Civvy instructor / PTI in some way/shape/form.

I still failed the test and went onto remedials. I was the only non-overseas cadet in the remedial lessons; seeing as some of these chaps had never been in a swimming pool before Sandhurst it was a bit of a poor show on my part.

"Given that we entered the pool from the 3m board dressed in denims and carrying rifle"

It it was that rifle you would never have been seen again.

When was this? I was utterly sh*te at swimming; but at RMAS there were plenty of lessons before doing any sort of test - and the getting in to the water in boots with rifle etc didn't happen until some way down the line. There's no way (in my time) you could have got to that stage without your swimming having already being assessed by the Civvy instructor / PTI in some way/shape/form.
1971. I don’t recall any pre-evaluation. We were told to put the gear on and go up the 3m board. I don’t recall anyone saying “if you can’t swim...”. I considered myself a strong swimmer with experience in swimming in clothes from RLSS training so I just did it (nearly died trying to pull myself out of the pool at the end mind).
My roommate was a Jamaican. Great guy but not so smart!

1971. I don’t recall any pre-evaluation. We were told to put the gear on and go up the 3m board. I don’t recall anyone saying “if you can’t swim...”. I considered myself a strong swimmer with experience in swimming in clothes from RLSS training so I just did it (nearly died trying to pull myself out of the pool at the end mind).

Bet he was great in a Bobsleigh though.

Ahh...gotcha. My experience was 35 ish years later so I guess things changed!

We had similar with an Antiguan (with about 5% body fat) on the first time we went in the pool:

"Group A: in the pool"
"But I can't swim Staff"
"Yeah, Yeah - get in the f*cking pool"
<splash>
Cue one Antiguan looking up from the bottom of the deep end, having no air in his lungs, looking sad.
Cue one PTI looking down expectantly at one Antiguan.
<no movement> (though in my head the Antiguan shrugged his shoulders in a confused manner).
Cue one PTI rapidly hauling one very soggy overseas cadet out of the pool.

If only he had bobslieghed his way into the pool then that would have been the better story.
While I agree it would have been a spectacular way to enter the pool, our little incident happened 17 years before the 1988 Winter Olympics and some 22 years before the movie was released. We would have been way ahead of our time!

War Hero
That is not the current Army swim test (AST), of which there are two versions - one for service pools and one for civilian pools. There are actually a number of other different swim tests about. eg JSATST, CST, UKSFST etc. Each have different standards and dress code.

The OP needs to get lessons and notify the instructor that he cannot swim. They wont kick you out for being unable to swim and there is even a training allowance to provide you with lessons if they have to be bought from civi contractors.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt

I had something similar in my phase 1, a couple of lads not of this island just jumped straight in and sank like stones. Funny as **** to watch and quite brave of them. But ultimately very silly. Conversely we also had an international swimming champion on my intake plus several gus who partook in various water sports ( stop laughing at the back) who zipped around the pool at quite and alarming pace. So much so the PTI's and DS were heard to utter such phrases as " **** me is that bloke a ******* fish?" Or TGDSM B*****n your thick as **** but a bloody good swimmer ill be on the phone to your Battalion swimming team in due course".

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

While I agree it would have been a spectacular way to enter the pool, our little incident happened 17 years before the 1988 Winter Olympics and some 22 years before the movie was released. We would have been way ahead of our time!

Good point, and he would have probably been in trouble for being ahead of the times, that being the antithesis of how the Army operates.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
RMAS 1979 certainly had the 3m board, No.4 rifle, coveralls, helmet (we wore our boots though) experience. The actual swimming test was conducted in the lake in front of Old College - break ice, swim out to boat, under boat, back under boat, tread water and back to shore, report to MRS with hypothermia.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
RMAS 1979 certainly had the 3m board, No.4 rifle, coveralls, helmet (we wore our boots though) experience. The actual swimming test was conducted in the lake in front of Old College - break ice, swim out to boat, under boat, back under boat, tread water and back to shore, report to MRS with hypothermia.
Proper character building stuff, none of this indoor swimming pool malarkey!