• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Swimming test

What is the army swimming test I do when I get to afc Harrogate ? And what if I can’t do it ? I tried to swim today with my mate and could only do a breaststroke for a length of the pool.. no idea how to tread water

Don’t worry, if you can’t do it you’ll receive swimming lessons - usually whilst everyone else is getting beasted.

Tread water for a short while (2 mins I think)and swim something like 20m in your trunks. Easy as that. If not, you will get a week of non swimmer lessons. Just happened to a mate of mine in 7 Regt who has done numerous swim tests but they never got recorded on JPA,, Treat yourself.

It was a long time ago, but for me it was 2mins tread water and two laps of the pool, about 140m, any stroke.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ah great, still gonna work on my tread water though. Cheers guys
Top tip - it's not about how much you move your body, it's about how much air you have in your lungs. Even with clothes on, the average human body can easily float on the water, you just need to keep the air sacks on either side of your spine full.

Go search for YouTube vids of scuba divers demonstrating buoyancy and you'll see what I mean. Breathing is 95% of treating water correctly.

It was a long time ago, but for me it was 2mins tread water and two laps of the pool, about 140m, any stroke.
Fucks sake don't get started with that. By the end of this page there will be people swearing blind that they had to tread water for 4 hours before swimming a thousand laps, underwater, butterfly.

Top tip - it's not about how much you move your body, it's about how much air you have in your lungs. Even with clothes on, the average human body can easily float on the water, you just need to keep the air sacks on either side of your spine full.

Go search for YouTube vids of scuba divers demonstrating buoyancy and you'll see what I mean. Breathing is 95% of treating water correctly.

Fucks sake don't get started with that. By the end of this page there will be people swearing blind that they had to tread water for 4 hours before swimming a thousand laps, underwater, butterfly.
With their pyjama bottoms (snigger) on back to front.

Think yourself lucky you didn’t have to do it in my day.

I had to tread water for four hours then swim a thousand laps underwater. butterfly as well

I find it almost impossible to perform a surface dive in these modern pools with aerated water pumped into them.

Try as I might, I always float back to the surface.

I`ve noticed the same effect in swimming pools in both Tenerife and Corfu in the last 8 months.

Don`t worry OP, it`s impossible to drown in a pool.... apparently.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ah, the old thousand lap underwater butterfly swim test. I remember when our DS thought that was too easy and made us all do it outside, in a pool with no water, in boots, carrying weight and weapons, over hills, and using only our legs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A The Training Wing 48
T Juniors 16
D Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 8