Swimming requirement

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be in the army before the year out so atm I'm working on the fitness side of things as atm I run a 13min 1.5mile so there is work to be done to get into infantry.

Basically my question is will I be needed to swim as I've read a few posts which point to yes and then the online advisor said at no point will I be needed to swim through training. It's not that I can't swim just I don't think I'm good enough to swim 100m+. So I'm somewhat confused as to which is the right answer, I'm off into the army office soon but figured I'd ask here aswell.

Cheers guys!

gun-bunny

Old-Salt
There is such a thing as the military swim test: tread water for 2 mins, swim 50m without touching the sides/bottom and then pull yourself out. I don't know at what point you'll do this, but it's not hard. it is worth working some swimming sessions into your fitness training though - swimming's a great all over body workout and it's good for relaxing tired muscles.

GB

Many years ago it was a basic requirement for all troops to pass the test during their basic training. You could not pass out until you pased it. One day I noticed that it had popped up as a specqual on my docs. When I asked why I was informed it was due to the huge amounts of recruits who did not take / failed to pass the test before arriving in the field army. Making it a specqual was intended to be a method of tracking who could and could not swim.

You would think that swimming is a basic skill required of all soldiers - but aparently not. Even more strange my brother in the RN tells me there are plenty of matelots who cannot swim!

Rab_C

LE
Tiger Monkey unless things have changed very recently your brothers having you on. No swimming test no passing out for RN.

Latest Threads