• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Swimming at catterick

ga_is_ea said:
hi im off to catterick march next year and was just wondering how often you go swimming there?

That depends on what you are joining

Unless things have changed drastically, you'll probably only do it the once (swimming test). Mind you if fail, you should get the chance for a re-take, so that'd be twice!

ga_is_ea said:
im joning the infantry.... thanks for the info lads

ok guards and line do 3 swimming sessions , where as para does 8 sessions

I used to go once a week at Sandes Soldiers Home.
It became even more enjoyable after they removed the water and it became Battle Group Trainer. Much fun and even more beer!

Quack

Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
ga_is_ea said:

I stand corrected.

Any idea why it's changed Sandy?

Because too many recruits had problems swimming?

Or just because it's good exercise?

Frank_The_Tank said:
Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
ga_is_ea said:
Sandy, What sort of standard is required for swimming in the Para Reg?

Well recruits still pass out even if they can't swim

Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
Well recruits still pass out even if they can't swim
I'll just concentrate on not drowning then :lol:, might be a challenge! I am taking swimming lessons just now, is there somewhere near Helles where I could continue these on the weekends I'm not training?

Yes the Garrison pool, i always tell joes that cant swim or are weak swimmers to go down the pool at the weekends and get some free tuition from the pool staff

Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
Yes the Garrison pool, i always tell joes that cant swim or are weak swimmers to go down the pool at the weekends and get some free tuition from the pool staff
Cool, I must admit that was my one main concern. Just need to overcome the Recruiters 'they're just like other inf bn, we're all elite' attitude!

B

Biscuits_AB

Frank_The_Tank said:
Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
ga_is_ea said:
Sandy, What sort of standard is required for swimming in the Para Reg?
Get in one end and get out of the other. Alive preferably.

Some of these swimming sessions come as a shock to joe, as many are under the impression that you cant sweat in a swimming pool :wink:

Just the way the programme has been written most of the swimming is in the 1st 6 weeks