Swimming and Lung Damage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Aug 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if anyone has posted this - did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I used to enjoy swimming but chlorinated pools, particularly if you have manky barstewards who don't shower before they get in, wreck your lungs. Really you want a pool with a UV (or other non-chlorine) system, or a cheap wetsuit from Lidl and some open water.

Scary article.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1360

2. The team itself says more research needs to be done. I know swimming is really helping my lung capacity right now, so I'm not going to get put off. The study was carried out on children, too, and might not have the same repercussions for adults (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :wink: ). The mention of the increased asthma rate for lifeguards doesn't alarm me either, particularly as I'm not one, but also because lifeguards spend an inordinate amount of time by the pool, whereas I'm only there for an hour or two every Wednesday.

All in all, I'll not be braving the Irish Sea anytime soon, ta. No force in heaven or hell could make me go for a dip in that.

3. I find i suffer lung damage if i swim underwater for over 10 minutes. I also suffer brain damage and general shutting down of all my organs.

4. Sorry forget the rest of the article! The bit I am interested in I have highlighted in bold - are you being serious?!!?!?!??!?!

A WETSUIT FROM LIDL!? 8O

Swimming is great for improving lung capacity, it's a brilliant all round fitness regime and is not weight bearing. It's a great form of exercise. The benefits far outweigh the risks in this case.

However, I thoroughly recommend open water swimming though as it's a much better workout, and the environment is alot nicer. However, you must make sure you have the right wetsuit, not just any old one will do (lidl pah!) have a look at Orca wetsuits as used by triathletes. They are usually made up from thinner neoprene, making it easier to do all the strokes, especially crawl.

If you do swim outside be careful about the water temp, for the inexperienced I wouldn't recommend open water swimming when the water/air temp is below 10 degrees C.

And I think it goes without saying that if you are swimming somewhere tidal make sure you get the timings right! :-D

5. Lidl - yeah, I know, but they had quite a decent little sleeveless one for £30. Turns up periodically. Worth watching out for if you don't want to kick the arse out of it.

My heavy-legged triathlete/rower pal tells me that swimming in a wetsuit for a lot of blokes is a revelation. If you have low bodyfat and heavy legs a wetsuit gives useful bouyancy and suddenly you can motor.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Remember to bring your scuba gear next time... :roll: