Sweet smell of currywurst and dust

Nice to see all things of a decent calibre back,but we should be higher up the list than Intelligence-we are intelligent!Damn,where have I left my aide memoires,memos,glasses,nightcap

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Be content with our position, ambition is no loger our forte.

And remember, if is just a short time ago that this forum went so high it disappeared up the ARRSE!!!!!!!!!! :)

They keep moving things! I don't like it.

...great result for we, the senior brethren......just remember we were below Australia and all the other colonies before too!

K

Kirkz

Bloody typical though, compulsory purchase our terraced forum, knock it down to put a motorway through and then relocate us to a new high rise block forum 15 floors up!!! The lift stinks of piss and doesn't work and the stairs are full of smack heads shooting up!!!
Still it's nice to have our own place again :)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nice to see all things of a decent calibre back,but we should be higher up the list than Intelligence-we are intelligent!Damn,where have I left my aide memoires,memos,glasses,nightcap
Saturday morning I popped into town along with Zero Alpha on the Domestic Command Net. We didn't have much on - quick trip to Specsavers (the eyes go with age, yer knar?) then we bimbled around the market for a while. Found an Imbißstube right out the front of West Quay - in Southampton, honest. I asked for "Zwei Currywurst bitte." She replied, "Sigh, hold on, I'll get someone who speaks German." Someone who spoke German came to serve me.

We sat in the warm sun and I was transported back to Paderborn about 1978, cookhouse for brunch, into town, proffer DM10 (slightly more than £2.50) for a Status Quo cassette, take change for a 20, head for the Imbißstube for a Currywurst (or a Schaschlik or a Zigeunerschnitzel according to that day's preference) then over the railway tracks for a session.

Didn't manage a session: my alcohol intolerance these days limits me to a half, but there was a cider stall next door to the Imbißstube and I was driving, so that was as good as it was going to get. Marvellous day.

Damn I saw the thread title and suddenly had a mirage of Wolfgang driving through the trees in his van. A trip to ALDI this week to buy some more bratwurst and Frikkadelles I feel, just wish i could find some proper currywurst sauce.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Damn I saw the thread title and suddenly had a mirage of Wolfgang driving through the trees in his van. A trip to ALDI this week to buy some more bratwurst and Frikkadelles I feel, just wish i could find some proper currywurst sauce.
I used to love it when they just covered the wurst in tomato ketchup and sprinkled on loads of curry powder - blow yer heed aff!!! Loverly.:thumright: :judge:

You can buy currywurst sauce in Asda - I think.

I used to love it when they just covered the wurst in tomato ketchup and sprinkled on loads of curry powder - blow yer heed aff!!! Loverly.:thumright: :judge:

MMMMMMMMMM! I just went back -- years without even moving. Proper currywurst, none of this new fangled bloody ready made sauce!!!

K

Kirkz

Bottle of tomato ketchup, load of curry powder heat, mix and pour over cooked bratties :) Purrrrrrrrfect

Hit Aldi's today and managed to grab the last bottle of Apfelkorn on the shelf. It's chilling nicely in the fridge... On the korn front, can anyone recall the name of a grapefruit one? Remember it was served in what looked like miniature champage glasses, the bowl type not flutes. Tasted innocuos and seemed like a good idea at the time!

Make your own Frikadellen, they taste so much better than the bought ones! As for the curry sauce, if you have friends out here, get them to send you the Knorr 'Currywurst Fix', it's really good and just sprinkle Paprika powder on top for that authentic Imbiss taste. :wink:

Make your own Frikadellen, they taste so much better than the bought ones! As for the curry sauce, if you have friends out here, get them to send you the Knorr 'Currywurst Fix', it's really good and just sprinkle Paprika powder on top for that authentic Imbiss taste. :wink:
I used to make my own but Ive used Shergar up now, will get my CHAV clothes on and go and have a look round Asdas and Aldi. The biggest thing I miss from being in Germany with the food as got to be walking round the Osnabruck Christmas markets and the awesome smell of the food.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You can buy currywurst sauce in Asda - I think.
Every Christmas Southampton put on a German Christmas market (note Christmas, not seasonal. At least the council can get something right) throughout December.

Needless to say, there is an Imbißstube and we indulge in a Currywurst or similar every time we are there. I also buy a year's supply of Curry Gewürz Ketchup to last me until they return. It used to be available in the local Lidl, until one time I rolled in and asked the manager why not. His demonstrated lack of comprehension didn't give me a warm feeling. When he went on to tell me they had never stocked it (in the six months he'd been in charge) I stopped trying to source it locally and I know I can rely on the boxheads to bring the real stuff with them, even if it is sold at a bigger profit than Lidl etc.

One of the lads in the office bought a VW Camper Van and went on the Grand Tour in the summer. He had heard so much from me about Currywurst that they sampled some while they were out there, saw what they were missing and brought a bottle home for themselves. The only food-warmer-upper we have in the office is a microwave (or two) so when he returned to the office, he brought a tin of frankfurters and some long rolls and we initiated the office.

Now if I can encourage them out into the grounds, I'll start on training them to eat food cold from tins with leaves falling into them and leaving greasy marks on the bread, etc.

Before I left UK, I found a market stall in Leicester that sold Currywurst sauces (plus the other Gewurz, those long red, plastic bottles with the green, orange and yellow tops) along with jars of Zigeuner sauce etc. On my last visit I picked up 3 bottles and the barstewards at the airport confiscated them as they were liquids!! However, have now found a German supermarket here in Spain which stocks them so that made my day. Nothing like a nice bit of horsemeat covered in Zigeuner sauce with a few boiled spuds and steamed asparagus.
It would also appear that I brought my kids up right as last time I visited the bottle of Mayo came out to put on the chips. Luvverly.

If I feel lazy and can't be bothered to make my own, I have an Schnelly literally 2 mins walk from my house and a Netto food shop within 5 mins walk!...and a pub in between them :grin:

If I feel lazy and can't be bothered to make my own, I have an Schnelly literally 2 mins walk from my house and a Netto food shop within 5 mins walk!...and a pub in between them :grin:
**** off smart arrse

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SuperTrooper The NAAFI Bar 12
SKJOLD The NAAFI Bar 12
Davros_the_Dalek The Intelligence Cell 12