Sweet smell of currywurst and dust

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by sapperbraindead, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice to see all things of a decent calibre back,but we should be higher up the list than Intelligence-we are intelligent!Damn,where have I left my aide memoires,memos,glasses,nightcap
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Be content with our position, ambition is no loger our forte.

And remember, if is just a short time ago that this forum went so high it disappeared up the ARRSE!!!!!!!!!! :)
  3. They keep moving things! I don't like it.
  4. ...great result for we, the senior brethren......just remember we were below Australia and all the other colonies before too!
  5. Bloody typical though, compulsory purchase our terraced forum, knock it down to put a motorway through and then relocate us to a new high rise block forum 15 floors up!!! The lift stinks of piss and doesn't work and the stairs are full of smack heads shooting up!!!
    Still it's nice to have our own place again :)
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Saturday morning I popped into town along with Zero Alpha on the Domestic Command Net. We didn't have much on - quick trip to Specsavers (the eyes go with age, yer knar?) then we bimbled around the market for a while. Found an Imbißstube right out the front of West Quay - in Southampton, honest. I asked for "Zwei Currywurst bitte." She replied, "Sigh, hold on, I'll get someone who speaks German." Someone who spoke German came to serve me.

We sat in the warm sun and I was transported back to Paderborn about 1978, cookhouse for brunch, into town, proffer DM10 (slightly more than £2.50) for a Status Quo cassette, take change for a 20, head for the Imbißstube for a Currywurst (or a Schaschlik or a Zigeunerschnitzel according to that day's preference) then over the railway tracks for a session.

Didn't manage a session: my alcohol intolerance these days limits me to a half, but there was a cider stall next door to the Imbißstube and I was driving, so that was as good as it was going to get. Marvellous day.
  7. Damn I saw the thread title and suddenly had a mirage of Wolfgang driving through the trees in his van. A trip to ALDI this week to buy some more bratwurst and Frikkadelles I feel, just wish i could find some proper currywurst sauce.
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I used to love it when they just covered the wurst in tomato ketchup and sprinkled on loads of curry powder - blow yer heed aff!!! Loverly.:thumright: :judge:
  9. You can buy currywurst sauce in Asda - I think.

10. MMMMMMMMMM! I just went back -- years without even moving. Proper currywurst, none of this new fangled bloody ready made sauce!!!
  11. Bottle of tomato ketchup, load of curry powder heat, mix and pour over cooked bratties :) Purrrrrrrrfect
  12. Hit Aldi's today and managed to grab the last bottle of Apfelkorn on the shelf. It's chilling nicely in the fridge... On the korn front, can anyone recall the name of a grapefruit one? Remember it was served in what looked like miniature champage glasses, the bowl type not flutes. Tasted innocuos and seemed like a good idea at the time!
  13. I remember a grapefruit drink called Samba, had a grapefruit with a sombrero on the front :)
  14. Make your own Frikadellen, they taste so much better than the bought ones! As for the curry sauce, if you have friends out here, get them to send you the Knorr 'Currywurst Fix', it's really good and just sprinkle Paprika powder on top for that authentic Imbiss taste. :wink:
  15. I used to make my own but Ive used Shergar up now, will get my CHAV clothes on and go and have a look round Asdas and Aldi. The biggest thing I miss from being in Germany with the food as got to be walking round the Osnabruck Christmas markets and the awesome smell of the food.