Sweeping a Chimney

Discussion in 'DIY' started by pegasusbranding, Dec 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone any experience of sweeping their own chimney, or should I just fork out the £60 to get a proffesional in, I can get a set poles and Brushes for around £20 which I will have for life, They is a lot of info on the web telling me how to do it, I just want to know if anyone has tried and wishes they hadn't.

2. Saw Laurel and Hardy try it in a film - they made a right mess. I would pay the £60

3. My ex swept our chimney when we first moved in, the whole house stank of soot and the living room was covered in black. After that I insisted we get someone who knows what they are doing, especially as they (some, not all) use a hoover like thing and leave no mess.

TPBD

4. Its coming up to Christmas so you should be able to find cheap orphans to do the job, normally only costs a bowl of soup and a peice of bread....dont trust the one called Oliver though as I hear hes a right greedy F*cker and always tries to rob you blind (think he was on Rogue traders)

Id pay the £60 mind you as the people I know whos tried doing it themselves caused more damage and mess costing £100s to clear up.

5. Deffo worth getting a professional in, imho. I made a terrible mess doing ours. It's amazing how much soot can come down once the brush goes up - a whole fireplace full, mostly in one go.

My grandfather attempted to clear the chimney at his place with a round from his Lee Enfield. That didn't work either and my grandmother didn't speak to him for weeks.

Oh and by the way, shtep in time, shtep in time, etc.

6. Leave it until Christmas eve. Santa will come climbing down and do it for you.
    If you get a professional he will (hopefully) be able to tell you if your chimney is in good order and working properly. Worth the ££££.

7. A pro can also do a smoke test to make sure the fireplace actually works, and knows how to deal with surprises - eg if jackdaws have dropped a 30-foot column of twigs down your chimney....

8. Get a really good blaze going and set fire to it, that will do it. There is nothing as nice as watching loads of fiery sparks shooting out of your chimney at night. :) Just hope nobody calls the Fire Service. Not to be recommended in ancient houses with oak beams in the loft by the chimney breast.

Better still, burn clean fuel and no young logs.

9. I've just done mine myself. I had the above mentioned 30ft column of rook sticks which I dragged out with a twisty, grabby end on a set of drain rods, weekend hire £5.28p.

Filled 12 dustbin sized bin liners with the sticks which included a baby's sock, a cat's collar and loads of bits of carpet underlay the buggers had got from somewhere - no shiny jewellery, though.

I then sheeted off the front of the fireplace and fired both barrels of a 12 bore shotgun up the chimney to loosen off the soot, which came tumbling down no problem.

Then it's push the brush up the chimney to get any bits the lead shot may may have missed - hardly any - and the jobs a good-un.

It's easy enough to do, but for ****'s sake be careful not to let soot waft/explode into the room, because you will never, ever get rid of it all.

If you are happy enough that you can prevent that happening, or don't care, then DIY. But when you are standing in a room full of soot covered furniture and carpets £60 is going to look like a bargain.

10. Well done, got the fat bastard. :thumright:

[​IMG]

11. Some great advice, I think with my track record of attempting anything blindly I shall get a chimney sweep in, I have only been in the house a few months. A builder a few doors down did tell me the previous owners always had a real fire and he checked the chimney for me before I had my first blazing fire.

A Chimney sweep will also check the chimney properley, I will watch what he does and maybe do the job myself next time.

12. Been doing mine for years and hate it but I'm too tight to pay some sod to do it.
    Lots of dust sheets and black maskers and then deep clean the room twice.
    S10 is handy too, avoid black bogies for days afterward.

13. Chucking a live chicken (or swan for bigger chimneys) down from the top is supposed to work. Probably illegal in some way though.

14. My Dad used to always do ours and as I recall he used to mask a sheet of polythene around the fire with a small hole in for the sweep - after of course putting brush through first. I can only recall one problem all the years he has done it and that was maybe the first time he did it and didn't mask it off properly or not at all. It's handy to use an old hoover just for this job after the dust has settled a bit.

15. Started doing mine when I moved into a rental place that had a set of rods in the shed. Too tight to pay.

Thought about it and had a large piece of wood (old MFO box) lots of placky bags and harry maskers and the wifes new vac.

Cut hole in the MFO box sise of the pole nad hoover nozzle put in the brush ,screwed in the pole thr the hole, blocked off the fire place . Harry masked everything .

Small push , hoover, empty hoove , small push etc.

Since moved to my own place with wood heater/stove and still working well.

But do it every really well in Oct .