Swedish Gov attempts to contact their nationals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Dec 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Saw this:

The Swedish government has sent text messages to everyone who has a Swedish telephone in Thailand, hoping to gain some answers as to the whereabouts of some of the missing.

and thought 'what a stroke of genius'.

I only hope they get a better reponse than the CCRF texts which were sent out recently.

2. The Sri Lankans did that yesterday to all foreign phones on the island.

They were able to triangulate and rescuse a number of foreigners stuck on small islands.

Good thinking

3. Good uses of technology by the Swedes and Sri Lankans.

ICRC has set up a website for relatives of missing persons to register and exchange info. Similar arrangements were useful during Kosovo refugee crisis, and there are still online missing lists from both Bosnia and Kosovo. This one could however require significant bandwidth and server capacity for the first few weeks, particularly if journos and idle surfers try visiting it too.
  4. What has the British government done on this? Anybody any info?? :?
  5. The BBC says we sent out an aircraft with tents and plastic sheeting.
  6. Has Tone turned up grinning and shaking hands yet :roll:
  7. Hi dui-lai

Main effort I think is the emergency telephone number staffed by police and other trained volunteers and operating I think from Hendon Police College. I havent heard of any official UK website set up to exchange info with the public. FCO probably reckon its easier to filter out the loonies and timewasters on the phone rather than online. Embassies/consulates could be doing other things in-country.

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Perhaps Poppy can tell us if FANY are involved - I believe the Met Police Casualty Bureau is part of their remit.

Has Bliar returned from his holiday yet?
  9. Don't be silly VB, - it would take something serious for him to come back early. :evil: