Swedish Army to be cut by 30%

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Acording to local Swedish newspapers, the government is capping the defence budget at $4.9Bn until 2014. Meaning that deployable troops numbers are dropping to 12,500 from 20,000, resulting in 7 tactical battalions plus one Marine battalion.

And from the DID this means that flying hours are getting cut along with their Leo 2s. They currently have 160 Leopard 2A5s with a further 120 Leopard 2A4s taken out or service, and they want to half this number to focus on light air transportable ones.

So is this a sign of where the rest of Europe and also NATO are heading? Perhaps we could lease some of their equipment at "mates rates"? Some of their chinooks and contracted slots on production lines for mine resistant vehicles and apache spares would be nice (Better we get them ahead of schedule than them struggling to pay the contracts and not use the kit).

2. Why not they haven't had a war since the 18tr century

3. And why have they not had a war since the 18th century, O Ostrich one?

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sweden isn't a NATO member is it?

I understood that each member has minimum commitments with regards to equipment and mapower availability, or am I wrong?

5. The way im looking at it is because they have had no need to fight they are quicker to put the defence budget on the chopping block. So is this an early indication that the rest of Europe/NATO may follow since they are not overly keen in sending their troops out with their borders. As shown by their unwillingness of some time to send more troops to Afghan and use them in a more aggressive role.

They are not NATO but they do work with it. Im purely wondering if this is an early indicator for the rest of Europe.

6. Well, they changed sides against the French at leipzig in 1813, which was the 19th century...

7. Sweden does have an agreement with NATO that is why there will be Gripens in KDH as part of the Nordic Battle Group 2009 to relieve the Germans in Mazar-e-Sharif

8. And think of all that good sweish surplus gear soon to be on the market....

9. Not sure where you got your information about the two aircraft in bold but I don't think you would be very happy with the results if you did try to get some their kit at "mates rates"

According to The Facts (downloadable) Sweden operates the HKP 4 - Boeing Vertol 107, commonly known as the CH-46 Sea Knight. Their attack helicopter is listed as the Agusta 109. They did look at the Apache but apparently never bought it.

From Boeing's web page: Apache Operators include the U.S. Army, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, The Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Republic of Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and United Kingdom (as the AH Mk1)

10. Sweden does not posess either Chinook or Apache helicopters.

11. Ah now i knew they wouldnt use all the kit we had, but i assumed we would share some equipment. Oh well, ignore my stupid idea.

12. Will anybody notice? - except Putin!

13. This could be exremely bad news for all the 'Hot Chicks in Uniform' threads.

14. Best avatar Ive seen in a long time well done that man...hilarious

15. Apparently this all because they're getting rid of National Service in Sweden. At the moment they already have around 66 Home Guard Battalions.