swearing the oath

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by private---pile, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what happens here, i heard you get to keep the bible? do you get like a plaque or something?

2. stand there and say...i joined so i can ask fukin stupid retarded questions on ARRSE!! what the fuk do you think happens?? yes you wear a suit, you swear allegiance to the Queen and then some crap on the bottom that the officers wrote in themselves then you get it to frame and have a shite picture for mummy and daddy now fuk off and wait for the suprises!!

Phase one you'll have no idea whats gonna happen in an hour are you going to come on here and ask us???

3. There speaks a man after my own heart :)

4. I can't believe I'm reading this!!!!!

Who told you that??? Plaque!!??? Bible!!!???

Yeah you always carry them with you in case you forget your MOD90.

If it were 58 webbing you could fit it in a mag pouch or nowadays stash it between yer mess tins to use as bog paper.

Donkey!!!

They don't even let ye keep the 5p!!!

5. Just swore my oath on Monday. You should definitely wear a suit, as one lad did'nt and I think its fair to say that the CSgt was'nt best pleased with him! The only thing that you keep is the oath itself. You will be given a briefing by the CSgt, and then its a one on one with an officer, who just asks some questions to make sure you are properly prepared for basic training. Oh, and then you get to go home, just in case you were wondering what happens after that.

6. any more bone questions pile?

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It all seems different to when I signed on in 1966 as a junior bleeder.

After the process of tests and medicals I was invited into the ACIO along with about half a dozen others, one being another JL remainder adult service.

We took the oath, did not get a certificate but did get a copy of the attestation papers, which i still have. Once that was all done I was taken by one of the Recruiting Sgts, Scots Greys IIRC and he handed me a days pay, travel expenses (even though I lived in Edinburgh and was only a few mins away from the ACIO), food allowance and a couple of other allowances which I can't remember. This all came to over £9 which was a healthy sum for a young lad, considering my first weekly wage was 30 bob. The last thing I was given was a leave pass as I was told that I was no on LWOP, Leave Without Pay until I reported to Oswestry.

All in all it took most of the afternoon.

p.s. we were issued bibles on arrival at Oswestry with our kit.

8. IIRC it was the New Testament... pedantic I know, but it's Friday afternoon, the golf is on and I'm still feckin' here and not down the pub!!!!

9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.