Swear allegiance to the Queen??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Galileo82, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh boy... every 'uman roights lawyer in the country will be licking their vulpine lips.......

2. Can't see it catching on in Glasgow, to be honest.

3. For once, I agree wholeheartedly!

4. can everybody say 'inciting racial hatred', won't somebody please think of the foreigners!

5. Sorry, it's just not how we do things here.

6. I wonder what Shami Chakrabarti and her troops will have to say about it!

7. 50% would have no problems....

8. I liked this bit:

"Other proposals are thought likely to include a revamp of Britain's old treason laws, such as sleeping with the wife of the heir to the throne, which is punishable by life in prison."

Didn't Dodi get the death sentence?

9. This government is really scraping the barrell if this is all they can come up with to spin their way out of a failed immigration policy.

If anybody should have to swear publically allegience to the Boss it should be Anthony Wedgewood Benn and those tossers in Parliament like him who whinge about taking their Oath.

10. It's another part of the same 'Britishness' nonsense Broon has been pumping out since he became PM.

We are not American, we don't need to copy their bizarre little rituals. We are British, we drink tea and real ale and cider, we eat crumpets and pies and scones, we moan about the bloody weather even though it's not that bad, we understand irony and are masters of sarcasm, we were the first to not like the French - and we don't need any tacky pledges to do any of that.

A coerced pledge is hollow and insincere, it's an insult to HM and it's just not British. And it doesn't seem to have done those in Parliament a lot of good.

Flying a few Union Flags from public buildings would be just spiffy, though. A flag pole outside every school, I say.

11. .. and the Muslim kids in an inner city sink school are really going to swear alleigance to the head of the Church of England aren't they?

12. "I swear allegiance to the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and to the Kingdom for which it stands. One nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Or,

"I swear allegiance to whatever I see fit so long as I can stay here as long as I like."

Take your pick.

13. If said person swears allegiance then betrays the country by plotting to or actually blowing up part of it, then surely they can be done for treason? I'm not up on law at all so apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick with this.

14. People won't do it. Its a pipe dream and a sh!t idea at that.

The Great Unwashed Will want to protest about it.
    The Foreign/Ethnic/Religious Types will tell us its an insult to Islam/Budda/Tom Cruise.
    Our very own Sponging unemployed masses will still be in bed unless the ceremony is held at 1410hrs on a wednesday.

Mrs Blair must be standing by to buy a Palace in Dubai if they try and kick this into action!