Swagger Stick Drill

I have just been given a swagger stick at my unit to use on parades and during drill etc. I was told the last SUO only ever used his for standing to attention on parade and our CO wants to see more use out of it. However I have absolutely no idea how to use a swagger stick except standing to attention and saluting at the halt. Our staff have never seen a swagger stick at their regiment only pace sticks. Anyone know were I can find the drill movements if there are any? Or can pm me the drill movements.

I very much doubt there is any drill for it, as it is for swaggering about. An affectation used by people who lack real character. Is it roughly the size of a boy's penis?

The drill for pace sticks and swagger sticks is the same.

Obviously you can't pace with a swagger stick.

Carry in right hand 'at the trail' head to rear, whilst walking, occasionally tapping ground.

Under left arm pit for random salutations.

No ceremonial about turns either.

Further help available from the army school of ceremonial at Catterick.

Swagger stick, my backside. It's called a Drill or Picquet Cane and the relevant Drill Movements are covered in the Drill manual. As has been posted already, it is basically Pace Stick Drill.

I have seen swaggers elbows bent hand up right hand salute.. on you tube chester castle 1920s?

Swagger stick, my backside. It's called a Drill or Picquet Cane and the relevant Drill Movements are covered in the Drill manual. As has been posted already, it is basically Pace Stick Drill.
Do agree, in my former mob it's only ever allowed to senior Cpl instructors ( LI), and above, held in the right hand, switched over to left under arm to salute, as with pace stick, but drills are different with pace stick.
We had to buy the ******* our selves, they weren't issued.

The Army Drill Manual will tell you all you need to know.

Just slap it against the side of your leg every so often and then point it at someone whilst exclaiming in a plummy voice " I say you there! yes I mean you! in between emitting braying laughs.

Just to add
I assume you're talking about a swagger stick 15" long leather bound and officer use only? as opposed to a cane which any cpl and above could cut about with.

"Swagger sticks" evolved from the "leading cane" prescribed for British officers in a General Order of 1702. On parade, this cane was used for leading men. But it was also used administering on-the-spot punishment of up to 12 strokes for minor violations of regulations. Examples of the latter were:

sneezing in ranks,

scratching the head, or

giving an officer a dirty look.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
timpegasus Infantry 3
Crafty990 Army Pay, Claims & JPA 1
Major_Sharpe Classified Ads 7