Sven and Mrs. Hassel

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Tartan_Terrier, Mar 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just discovered a very interesting site all about the well known author 'Sven Hassel' who many believe to have been a soldier in the Wehrmacht during WWII. It's a promotional site for a book revealing the true story behind the books and their author, but it seems to be anything but military history.

Not very worksafe at all!!!!

www.svenhazel.dk

You have been warned!!!

2. sorry! I thought it was the arrser Sven bashing thread................

I'm out.

3. For some reason it wont let me look at the English version and my Danish is next to non-existant, whats it all about?

4. Just realised its something to do with Erik Haaest, he is a bit of a fruit loop that has always taking a disliking to Sven Hassel.

5. It doesn't seem to work if you click on the flags. Go to the English foreword instead.

The Danish pages do have some interesting photos though.

6. Read two of his books before realising that every single one was the bloody same!! And any McNab thinks he invented the cliche genre!! Sven was WELL ahead of you mate!!

7. It was my belief that Erik Haaest had been legally gagged some years ago - he really was quite openly defamatory about the author Sven Hassell and his claimed military service.

Amongst many other things, Haaest suggested that SH was in fact a Wermacht Walt with no military service, a Danish traitor by virtue of his (voluntary) German military service and that Hassell's wife was in fact the author of the books.

This new site appears to be little more than salacious publicity for a newly published work of fiction based on Haaest's previous anti Hassell rantings.

The Hassell books, whilst importing a sense of real WW2 events and people, were hopelessly awry with the timelines and sequencing of events. Faded memories? Perhaps. Fiction? Almost certainly.

Compulsory reading for young cold war warriors though - are they still in print these days?

8. Who cares?

9. Yep, reprinted a couple of years ago

10. they turn up on egay for less than a quid all the time, well worth a re-read just for the laffs.

11. You mean they're fictional?
    Fuck! That's another dream shattered.

Oh well, the Easter Bunny will be here soon.

12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

All I see is a mad looking fcuker with a nazi hat on and some vintage scud magazines in the top right of the screen.

Am I missing something?

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That's an interesting place for her to keep her keys. At least finding them in the dark would be fun.

14. Of course he made them up.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh?

Read them all more than twice in my formative years, along with Willy Bertholdt, Otto Stahl and all those other blood thirsty boys 8O

And I turned out alright didn't I mother ? :twisted:

15. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I thought Sven Hassel was a pen name for an english author...