Suspected Terror Attack, Streatham, 2/2/20.

Apologies for being a knob, but how many folks like the deceased terrorist does the UK have to keep tabs on at any given time?
More than 3000 as of last May on the MI5 watchlist (Don't think that includes NI)

The independent claimed back in 2017 that 500 were under surveillance at any one time.

20'000 people are deemed people of interest and can be moved onto the watchlist at any time for one reason or another. I doubt they are Islamists though.

Steamboat

War Hero
More than 3000 as of last May on the MI5 watchlist (Don't think that includes NI)

20'000 people are deemed people of interest and can be moved onto the watchlist at any time for one reason or another. I doubt they are Islamists though.
That seems like quite the crowd to try and monitor full time with the security personal you do have available. Is stripping citizenship an option for the worst of the worst followed by a swift deportation?

That seems like quite the crowd to try and monitor full time with the security personal you do have available. Is stripping citizenship an option for the worst of the worst followed by a swift deportation?
I'd hazard a guess that 99% are British citizens.. you can't deport them anywhere and to render them stateless, is against international law, as seen with those heading to Syria, to join ISIS in the past few years.

Steamboat

War Hero
I'd hazard a guess that 99% are British citizens.. you can't deport them anywhere and to render them stateless, is against international law, as seen with those heading to Syria, to join ISIS in the past few years.
Laws can be ignored if they are in the best interest of the nation as a whole. Trying them for Treason would be an option but you would have to create a Super Max type facility to house them for life. But these are the types of folks who are never going to be rehabbed to join society again. What to do with them is a bit of a pickle.

Wrong comrade, comrade - although he did work for Beria. It was actually a guy called Blokhin, and he took out about 7000 Poles in the Katyn Forest unpleasantness.

He managed to outlive all his Chekist bosses, and Stalin - though the latter not by much.
Meh, what's a few thousand between friends?

Pazhalsta for the correction , it has been noted , ..... said in a narrowed eyes way.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Not if they're UK citizens. Plus under the Human Rights Act we cannot simply deport non citizens to any country, where they may risk torture. Which lets face it, is practically any country in the world.

Steamboat

War Hero
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Not if they're UK citizens. Plus under the Human Rights Act we cannot simply deport non citizens to any country, where they may risk torture. Which lets face it, is practically any country in the world.
Rules, are meant to be ignored if they don't make any sense. I will have to google this Human Rights Act...it sounds like a laugh.

JCC

War Hero

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/631643/deprivation-nullity-Chapter-55.pdf

Under s.40 of the 1981 Act, as amended by the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 from 1 April 2003 and by the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 from 16 June 2006, any British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British National (Overseas), British protected person or British subject may, by Order, be deprived of his or her citizenship or status if the Home Secretary is satisfied that:

a. it would be conducive to the public good to deprive the person of his or her British nationality, and that s/he would not become stateless as a result of the deprivation (ss.40(2) and (4));

I read this that anybody but anybody white, brown, born here or not may be deprived of citizenship as long as they have a chance of getting citizenship elsewhere.

So all those Brexit dodgers who got an Irish passport ?

There's also doubt that Brexit has removed, or has the right to remove, EU citizenship; interesting times. I'm sure Gina will look into it.

Steamboat

War Hero
Have a read of this. It's a few years old but is a good read.

Well then, you need to build your own version of Gitmo complete with Waterboarding, and listening to Barney and Metallica 24/7 and then state that their home countries are a better bit for them then life here.

JCC. The get out clause in that is that you cannot render someone stateless.

Well then, you need to build your own version of Gitmo complete with Waterboarding, and listening to Barney and Metallica 24/7 and then state that their home countries are a better bit for them then life here.
Suits me.

JCC

War Hero
JCC. The get out clause in that is that you cannot render someone stateless.
Seems to be they can as long as the person has a chance of getting citizenship elsewhere - isn't that what they've done to whatshername in Syria? Born & bred in UK but Daddy was originally from Bangladesh so the government argues that she can apply for citizenship there if she wants i.e. she's not being rendered stateless.

I.e. they're not being rendered stateless as a result of the deprivation of UK citizenship but because they chose not to take up another citizenship to which they are entitled.

I accept the jury is out on that one so how it plays out I don't know.

Steamboat

War Hero
You're preaching to the converted treacle.
I know, but the problem is that a good portion of Liberal society believes these types of people to be kittens who can be snuggled into change. When in reality many of the hard core folks are just waiting to have their Aloha Snackbar moment like the previous two terrorists.

Seems to be they can as long as the person has a chance of getting citizenship elsewhere - isn't that what they've done to whatshername in Syria? Born & bred in UK but Daddy was originally from Bangladesh so the government argues that she can apply for citizenship there if she wants i.e. she's not being rendered stateless.

I accept the jury is out on that one so how it plays out I don't know.
Exactly.

The independent claimed back in 2017 that 500 were under surveillance at any one time.

Hopefully the current sort of robust police response will reduce that watch list

Dead men can't carry out martyrdom operations after all

JCC

War Hero

If I have UK and Swiss citizenship the UK can take away my UK citizenship and leave me Swiss.

If I have UK and Daddy was a Swiss citizen the UK claim they can take away my UK citizenship and leave me to apply to become Swiss.

Latest Threads