Suspected Malicious Insider Threat Elimination (SMITE)

Full Official DARPA RFI HERE

The SMITE program (seriously! :lol: ) is a new DARPA initiative to predict counter intelligence threats with a computer program.

A large database filled with 'normal' human activity will be compared and contrasted with the behaviour of someone with access to sensitive information. If you are acting out of the ordinary then the 'E' in SMITE stands for elimination... :D

I swear this is not an elaborate practical joke. :p

... that must be continually monitored and updated. The
first step in meeting this challenge is to create a scalable, distributed infrastructure to securely collect, store, access, process, and correlate relevant data
from heterogeneous sources over extended periods of time.

The next step is to determine whether an individual or group of individuals is exhibiting anomalous behavior that is also malicious. However, this analysis is very heavily dependent on the context of the individual, groups of individuals and any data involved. Furthermore, context (e.g., location, time, roles and relations) is dynamic and so must be continually inferred, managed and applied automatically. Part of the challenge is detecting deceptive behavior. Deceptive behavior is characteristic of malicious intent which leads to the problem of assigning intent to observed behaviors.
I want a job working for shadowy Government Departments that just "think sh*t up". If it doesn't work - just shrug "Ah well, it was only a theory!" :D
Basically it means this...

1. Build a giant database
2. Tell it what normal is
3. Input your employees every move and action
4. The computer decides if they are being shifty (IE spying)
5. Eliminate.

Security is often difficult because the defenses must be perfect, while the attacker needs to find only one flaw. An emphasis on forensics could reverse the burden by requiring the attacker and his tools to be perfect, while the defender needs only a few clues to recognize an intrusion is underway.

Topics of interest include ... suggestions about what evidence might mean and [ways to] forecast context-dependent behaviors both malicious and non-malicious.
I think that is the key point, it all sounds a bit Minority Report :D
whosthedaddy said:
I wanted to form the Covert Unit for Narcotic Training, or maybe the Counter Litigation Investigation Team. :D
Not to be confused with the Castlereagh Liaison Intelligence Team,

(part of the Special Medical Investigation Unit)

another sub-unit I worked with was the Ulster Research INtelligence Establishment

Book Reviewer
In the real world, when,way back in the forties, the Admiralty Scientific Service first set up shop on the top of Portsdown Hill, the place which for years was known as the Admiralty Signal and Radar Establishment nearly started life as the Admiralty Radar and Signal Establishment. But some spoilsport explained to the boffins ...

Gen dit.

Latest Threads