• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SUSAT for Left Handed

I have been told that as a naturally left handed person (done all the pointing at object and closing eyes test) I am permitted to use a SUSAT for APWT. My PSI says "B*ll*cks"!

Can someone deny/ confirm. If my advice is right, any chance of a chapter and verse reference?

As far as I'm aware, unless your personal weapon has a SUSAT. You fire the APWT (OA&S), which means you use the Iron Sight. So I'll agree with your PSI.

I don't know the answer but can I suggest that if you need to shoot SA80 with Iron sights then you might as well practice with iron sights. Why not buy an air rifle with a similar iron sight arrangement and practice with that in your own time? Stick at it long enough and you'll get the hang of it.

I have never heard of that one...we just give our left eye dominant guys (and girls) an eyepatch..that works wonders.
How does a SUSAT help a left handed person anyway?

Frangipano said:
I have been told that as a naturally left handed person (done all the pointing at object and closing eyes test) I am permitted to use a SUSAT for APWT. My PSI says "B*ll*cks"!

Can someone deny/ confirm. If my advice is right, any chance of a chapter and verse reference?
You're a massive chopper for even thinking it!

MightyBigEgo said:
I have never heard of that one...we just give our left eye dominant guys (and girls) an eyepatch..that works wonders.
How does a SUSAT help a left handed person anyway?
I shoot a lot (civvy) and it's a lot easier to use an optic sight from the "weak" shoulder with the weak eye than using iron sights cack handed.

I forgot to mention, New directive. If you are left foot dominant, yow will attempt the BCFT in an Anti-Clockwise direction. Opposed to Right Foot dominant pax who will go in a Clockwise direction.

It's true, a guy with a dog down the NAAFI told me.

But eye dominance doesn't always follow which hand you w4nk with.

If its a SUSAT you want, ask to carry the LSW as I believe they don't do them with iron sights. Could be wrong though.

More to the point in this 'One Army' EVERYONE should be issued with a SUSAT sight anyway! Do the Iraq & Afghan Insurgents act differently when attacking the Support Arms?

The concept of fobing of Support Arms with Iron Sights stinks of the of idea of REAR AREA of OPERATIONS and REMF's

Where do all the extra SUSAT come from? Manufacture the damn things.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
bobath said:
If its a SUSAT you want, ask to carry the LSW as I believe they don't do them with iron sights. Could be wrong though.
Or just transfer to the Infantry - then you'll get your very own SUSAT :)

Nope, you do not get one - utter cack, just get used to it I'm afraid, like everyone else.

Like all left handers in the army ta or reg you'll have to learn to fire right handed unless your a gpmg or minimi gunner. It takes time but you will get used to it.
Alternatively get an empty toilet roll, stick a pin through the base and sellotape it to your iron sight. Hey presto instant susat!! You'll be the envy of your unit.

Frangipano said:

Wah!!

Lefthanded monocular sight... brilliant.

Hey, fancy going to fetch me the keys to the indoor mortar range? You'll find them next to the keys for the millenium falcon.

TB

As a left eye dominant, left handed firer in the RAF, I've been through all the various training routines and even had an eye patch issued for a while until it was decided to quote " get that fcuking pirate off my gate" unquote. The SUSAT allows the left eye dominant firer to shoot right handed with an improved sight picture - I have both eyes open, but aim for the bigger target!!

Apparently there is talk of a blanking arrangement in development/production, simply clips on and covers the left eye allowing the user to shoot with iron sight.

Its not advisable to try and shoot lefthanded - cocking handle to the nose has got to hurt!! Apparently there is a lefthanded version on the weapon, MOD are just too tight to buy them.

No Left hand SA80 made it to production.

The best solution (bar swapping SA80 for something better) would be to fit a Red Dot sight. You shoot this with both eyes open and it superimposes a dot on the target. It has no magnification.

Somehow doubt you'll get one of those either so try practising instead.

A bloke told me that there was a left handed SA80 once. Ejection opening in the other side of the body but all the internals were the same.
Trouble was, for the internals to be the same the bolt had to be capable of being fitted either way round and too many people would fit it left handed on a right handed weapon resulting in the empty cases being ejected inwards instead of outwards.
Maybe they spotted that problem before going in to production though.

As for getting a SUSAT for being a lefty, haahahahahahahahahahahaha!

sweatysock said:
I forgot to mention, New directive. If you are left foot dominant, yow will attempt the BCFT in an Anti-Clockwise direction. Opposed to Right Foot dominant pax who will go in a Clockwise direction.

It's true, a guy with a dog down the NAAFI told me.

Think he SHOULD fire from the left and send the pics to me to get a good old jolly laugh at... :headbang:

Anyway Sweaty...hows things?

Latest Threads