Susan Travers - A small tribute

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Emsav, Jul 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst rummaging through some old papers today my husband came across something that may bring some members great pride.

An English lady, Susan Travers, was the ONLY woman EVER to serve as a member of our Légion étrangère. Receiving the highest honours our country could bestow of her: Legion d'Honneur, Medaille Militaire and the Croix de Guerre. She saw service during WW2 as driver to Colonel Marie-Pierre Koenig, leading the escape from Bir Hakeim in Libya in 1942. He described her as having nerves of steel in negotiating minefields and enemy attacks, also earning the affectionate nickname "La Miss" from her thousand male comrades. Later in the same conflict she saw action in Italy, Germany and France driving a self-propelled anti-tank gun. During the First Indo-China War she was posted to Vietnam, rising to the rank of Adjudant Chef (Senior Warrant Officer).

May we suggest that members might like to read her biography “Tomorrow to be Brave” and leave you with this thought: "Distrust yourself, and sleep before you fight. Tis not too late tomorrow to be brave."

• Like Like x 2
  2. She was Keonig's mistress, read her book some time ago, still have it somewhere

3. Yes I have read it and inspiring it is, but her relationship with Koenig was more than just driver and passenger was it not?

4. I used to have a book about the Foreign Legion and Susan Travers was prominently mentioned in the pages about the siege of Bir Hakim. The only woman ever allowed to formally enlist in the Foreign Legion. I do believe though that she has passed on by now.

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

According the the font of all things accurate (wikipaedia), she died 18/12/03.

Still if she wore the kepi blanc, I wouldn't have argued with her.

6. Let's also remember the ‘White Mouse’, the Australian girl turned soldier, Nancy Wake, Companion of the Order of Australia, George Medal, Officier de la Legion d’Honneur, Croix de Guerre with Two Palms and Star, Presidential Medal of Freedom with Bronze Palm and Medaille de la Resistance.
    From April 1944 to the complete liberation of France the White Mouse led 7,000 resistance fighters battling against 22,000 SS soldiers, causing 1,400 casualties while taking only 100 themselves. One of the German casualties was an SS sentry Nancy Wake killed with her bare hands to prevent him raising the alarm during a raid.

7. You knew her well?

8. No but the frog did in the biblical sense apparently.

White Mouse was a bit of alright tho'

Nancy+Wake+in+uniform+army+portrait+photo+2+vintage.jpg

9. it was actually tropper in disguise, good god man don't you know anything? :)

10. Gosh! I have been blind! Of course! That explains everything! :p

[TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]