Surviving the Cut - Discovery

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Taita, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this mentioned on a website linked to earlier and thought it looked quite interesting. It follows a group of soldiers as they go through various unit-specific selection. Only one episode in and by Christ, Ranger selection looks a bit tasty.

Force Recon, PJ, Sniper etc are coming up in the next few weeks.

Surviving the Cut : Discovery Channel

Surviving The Cut : Programs : Discovery Channel : Discovery Press Web

Ahem, Google may reveal a torrent of the first episode. It's broadcast 10pm EDT on Discovery Channel USA, I haven't been able to find a time for the UK showings.
  2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I was going to put this up but saw you beat me to it!

It is a good series from an entertainment "smash the crows!" point of view, but it is sensationalised. I did notice how they would concentrate on one, or two, days and base the 45 minutes from them. Interesting never the less!
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Ah, that's a relief: It's about military training regimens.

From the title, I'd guessed it was an investigative report into circumcision.
  4. I concur. Last nights on the USMC recon was interesting, though I did note they got from the end of month 1 to the end of month 3 without loosing anybody from the course, so there must have been more 'training' rather than 'selection' in those two months.

That being said the use of 'riot control agents' during the final casevac did look like it was memorable for those involved.
  5. Force Recon selection was on (again?) last night.

The swim tests were a bit cheeky and extracting a 200lb dummy while carrying a "ruck" weighing 80lb plus weapon etc for 2 miles while being subjected to constant CS looked a right barrel of laughs. Not.
  6. Just been watching this and fair play to the lads trying out for all these different elite elite units.

But doesn't it get your goat when the commentators constantly say things like "This is the absolute toughest unit to get into, anywhere, any army, in the whole universe..." or "this is the hardest training / selection course in the world bar none."

Especially when some of those selections will take guys who are straight out of boot camp....