Survival tin

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not sure who will actually survive out of such a tin but it won't be many. Where are you going and what will you be doing?
  2. vasalined cotton wool
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Having ended up in the middle of nothing on an adventure holiday that went tits up I can highly recommend adding a spare credit card and an international phone sim - not quite as rugged a 15 fish hooks but a damn sight more handy.
  4. Well if you have to ask, tha's a poor start. I made a survival tin when I was younger. Fish hooks magnetised razor blade etc. Had no idea of how to fish or navigate with my razor blade. I think the best thing to put in it is a last letter to wife and kids.
  5. No shiny, shiny mirror?
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We got Master Fang that as a stocking filler for his christmas as he's doing DoE this year, seems not too bad, the fire steel definitely works, though there's a bit much in the tin as he can't reclose it without the tape that was round teh outside. Might get him to ditch the night light candle.
  7. This is mine... and similarly i can barely close it when fully filled.

tobacco tin (golden virginia)
    beta light (wrapped in blue tac... i suppose it could be used for something)
    scalpal blades
    strip of elastoplast
    some pre made snares
    potassium permanganate
    magnesium block and flint and steal.
    water proof matches (i recently opened it up and replaced these with the new big pink ones from the rat packs).
    water puritabs.
    edible candle
    condoms (learn how to use these for water carrying please)
    fish hooks
    sailmakers needle
    magnifing glass
    pencil and paper
    button compass
    wire saw with some split rings (big key rings)
    fishing line
    hooks and weights
    antiseptic wipe or two
    stout sewing cotton (about 1mm thick) and some good needles.
    a few safety pins.

packed out with cotton wool to prevent rattle and provide kindling.

the whole lot is not only taped shut (for water proofing) but i wrapped green string around it in three directions (ie length ways, then width, then around the sides) so I also have a good length of string.

then I put it in a big plastic bag and folded that down and held it in place with four elastic bands. Which also holds a mirror (metal with a hole punched in it with a nail).

I think that is about it.

Always comes in handy to be honest.... although not how you'd imagine. Has been used as an impromptu lesson.

When away I do carry it, and I have been known to stick my AMEX card in it, and some local currency.

Believe it or not the fcuker floats too.
  8. Cheers mate looks like a great list (not like Id know)

As for why I ask I have a Short ex in the new year with a SERE instructor, been told to get a basic survival tin together.
  9. you never hear of anyone ever actually using one bet if that bloke starring in 127hours had had one no film or best selling book.
  10. A decent knife, a roll of bin bags (the thicker ones) and some hexamine for lighting fires never goes wrong either. Plus a bit of emergency food to keep the morale up whilst your SERE mate's eating worms and bat intestines; oatmeal blocks tend to good for their size.
  11. saw that the other day in the book shop but couldn't get to it.

what is it about? I am guessing it is that chap who had to bite his own arm off whilst climbing.
  12. It's seen me right, but I don't have any official training.

I've also had a knfie blade in there. Just break a pen knife so you have the blade but not the handle.

The mirror is on the outside for two reasons... it is too big to fit inside the tin and takes up a disproportionate amount of space. If i want to signal with it quickly i don't want to be unwinding several miles of green string and unpacking my tin when I don't neccesarily need to.

Thus it's on the outside.

my writing paper had bits of lofty wisemans book photocopied to one side, like an aide memoire... just little things like ground to air signals and what not.

I've taped my Amex card to the bag before, with a load of numbers and contacts on a bit of paper wrappted around it, in a plastic change bag with some local, small denominations for phone and a phone card as applicable. That way i can take it out and put it in my pocket if neccesary.