Survival Course- what to expect?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lord_Poncho, Feb 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Expect the unexpected and all that....

But the question is, what will the unexpected entail? Not got the joining instructions yet, but in advance of those, is there any allowable kit i can take along that might make life a little easier?

The course will be a fairly basic land based one, run by the chaps down at St Mawgan. Any other preperation worthwhile?

Cheers.

2. If you knew that, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise, would it?

Here's a tip - wait for the JI to drop through your letter-box. Don't even think of hiding stuff up your hoop. They're very thorough........

One other thing; whatever they tell you is going to happen, expect something else. It's called "Dislocation of Expectation". So you won't really be spending time up to your ears in water on Bodmin Moor.

3. Depends on which course you are doing. Are you doing basic land or the land SERE?

4. Basic Land i believe- all a bit last minute, so no JIs yet....

5. First rule of survival is PREPARE AND CHECK YOUR PREPARATIONS. I suggest you prepare by sending me £100 for the knowledge I can impart!! Knights of the Army VI form can vouch for me

6. So you are aircrew or relatedly so? I'd surmise, as I've been out a few years now, that's it's a course you'll enjoy immensely. The CSSIC course is held elsewhere and is considerably more intense.

Be fit, keep an open mind and get on with the tasks that you're required to do. Brush up on your navigation skills, if you have allowed these to get rusty. The 'interviewing phase' is what it is, enjoy the debrief. Aircrew and their associated personnel had/have a tailored approach, with a 'Winter' phase held elsewhere. As it's sponsored by the RAF, they have a relatively 'comfortable' learning environment, however, it's physically demanding in it's own way. There may still be a 'sea-rescue' day, where the realities of being in a rubber liferaft for a period of hours before being helioed elsewhere is experienced. All good stuff, enjoy.

7. It sounds interesting! Not aircrew actually, just an interest course more than anything else, with a veiw to then being able to pass on anything gained back to the reg.

8. Anyone else smell Haddock?

9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Some smart arse thought it would be a good laugh to throw us out of a Seaking, promising to just do a few circuits and come back and winch us up.they did, 8 hours later, by which time I had had a complete mental breakdown, ( I thought they had lost me) and gone hypothermic, Thank you 824 Sqn and the Crab w@nkers of the Marine section in Portrush

10. Psychological conditioning. It was probably more the sound of the merry-go-'rounds and the donkeys braying on the beach that upset you more. All that candyfloss and kiss me quick hats just out of reach, you big pussy.

11. The trick is to pull in your sea anchor and you drift away from the main gaggle. The sea king then picks you up first/early.

12. hahahahaha

13. Indeed. I will vouch for SS. Clearly he has lowered his prices and £100 is a bargain.
    (psssst, I'll do it for £95.)

Seriously, check the JIs. Is there a "fit for arduous training certificate?". If no JIs, then you may get asked to sign one on arrival. Either way, this is what we call a combat indicator.

14. I do remember being 'conditioned' by the hunter force before being put OTR for 5 days. That was fun........

And then all that time in a blindfold 'somewhere in Wales'. Was it 48 hours? Was it 10 mins?

I cannot answer that question...................

Are you doing 'survival' or 'combat survival'?

15. I hope you have cleaned your anus, espicially if you get caught as the pineapples can be quite spikey this time of year.....