Survey: How many tours of the sandy land before you sack it?

I have two under my belt and HATED them both. My question is...how many times are you prepared to get sent out there before you realise enough is enough?

Do you just mean deserts in general or deserts with aggro present? I could live for ever in a peaceful desert but I reckon that three trips to what I read of as Iraq is now would suffice.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Even 'peaceful' deserts are, in my experience:

- too hot
- too cold
- full of bugs (feck off, big ugly bugs)
- full of mice
- full of flies
- full of smelly dogs
- smelly (in general, not just the locals)
- filthy (see above)
- windy
- muddy

Usually a combination of several of the above. Not like the Home Counties, that's for sure (fewer pubs for a start).

Why don't we invade somewhere nice, like the Aussies do? Fiji, or New Guinea, or similar? Granted, jungles have a different set of problems, but at least on the beaches there the tide comes in now and again, unlike Southern Iraq (Roll on global warming - flood the whole of Mesopotamia).

Well, done 2 so far with Brits, probably another one in May with the Aussies, not too bothered as the money & extra leave with the Aussies makes it all worthwhile :)

Probably be a bit annoyed if I go again within a year though...

OldSnowy said:
Even 'peaceful' deserts are, in my experience:

- too hot
- too cold
- full of mice
- full of flies
- full of smelly dogs
- filthy (see above)
- windy
- muddy

Usually a combination of several of the above. Not like the Home Counties, that's for sure (fewer pubs for a start).

Why don't we invade somewhere nice, like the Aussies do? Fiji, or New Guinea, or similar? Granted, jungles have a different set of problems, but at least on the beaches there the tide comes in now and again, unlike Southern Iraq (Roll on global warming - flood the whole of Mesopotamia).
Before I moved up to the great place that is Scottish Borders, I thought the Home Counties were
- too hot
- too cold
- full of mice
- full of flies
- full of smelly dogs
- filthy (see above)
- windy
- muddy

Usually a combination of several of the above

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Current Affairs, News and Analysis 6
Green_Manalishi Royal Signals 17
S Lonely Hearts 54