Survey - Does the Chain of Comd sp pers on ops?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by napier, Feb 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I'm doing a project into whether the Chain of Command sufficiently selects, trains, employs and provides legal topcover for its deployed personnel. Central to this study is the viewpoint of the military community. Below is a link to an online survey which intends to gather your perception - serving, TA, ex, interested civvies - even crabs and matelots. Operational experience is not necessary to do the survey. Thanks in advance for your time (and no, I'm not a journalist - the project will be published and, depending on whether its crap or not, it could be read by some quite high up bods).
  2. Napier, you are infantry and sans combat jacket, why are you posting this on RLC forum?

I note you have spammed various other forums too! What demography are you looking for here, may well complete a survey if you sell this a little better and without your usual field grade BS...
  3. napier

The reason for posting this on a number of fora (or spamming as you so delicately put it) is to get a response from a wide variety of people. But then if you had actually read the post, you'd know that wouldn't you.
  4. I agree, maybe with the use of ESP I would have automatically got your mindset on this; but looking at the survey (as I did) , it simply specifies serving Army or other services...

So as my original point stands, why have you spammed each Corps/forum etc for this?

So having cleared this up, I will happily complete the survey as one of the wide variety of people serving in the British Army, clearly an unusual minority here on ARRSE :roll:

I note that as surveys go, it is a bit of a blunt tool and also happily takes pot-shots at tradesmen (burning eggs -et al).

I cannot believe that you have been appointed as a MOD (I am jealous I admit) when you show such poor judgement! This is not a personal attack, look at it as constructive criticism. I honestly have nothing against you personally apart from the bizarre manner in which you post at times.
  5. I have, he's a spammer, and from a MOD as well. How can he even think of telling someone else on the forum the error of their ways, when he spams the boards like this?

After all, if you post so many duplicate posts on so many different boards and most of your feedback so far is from people comenting on the fact, you'd have to question your judgment and your methods wouldn't you?
  6. napier

I think it is quite clear who the survey is aimed at -

And as such it has been placed in a few (not all) fora in order to get a reasonable degree of exposure. It is, by design, a 'blunt tool' as it is designed to establish the perception of respondents as to the degree of preparation and support of deployed military personnel. It also has to be short enough not to put people off from completing it.

As to the rest of what you say, if you wish to have a conversation feel free to PM me.
  7. No, you have allied my fears, I look forward to the reprinting of the survey in The Sun...
  8. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

A few points:
    1. I made Napier a mod for very good reason - if you have a problem take that up with me/GCO
    2. His survey is being done for very legitimate reasons. The results will be used to prove/disprove a thesis he is making and will be published in an academic study. No doubt he will make the point that the methodology is far from perfect.
    3. He asked me if I would mind a 'shotgun' distribution. I didn't as I think this is an important topic.

Can we leave it now!

As always - any problems
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Cheers BCO, saved me the job.
  10. Don't listen to him, he was clearly bullied at school!
  11. Another timely intervention by Far from Prefect or whatever the Chavtain is called...

For your information Prefab I have apologised to Napier for being a bit of a tool, but then we have history as we had a little argument about tradesmen; thankfully this is all sorted now and he is merely going to "leather" me if we meet, which is a relief, rather than the killing I could have expected.
  12. So when are you going to get round to apologising to the rest of us?

(Sorry in advance Melchers; thats me done).
  13. I am new here. The survey was not objective and it was quite clear what the author wanted you to say during the analysis. I suggest that the results will be neatly portrayed to demonstrate the NAAFI bar opinion that we are not supported by either the senior officers or our politicians and that soldiers are deployed without adequate preparation. In other words, the survey is bollocks.
  14. napier

Thanks for your 'reasoned and objective' response. As it happens I have no 'NAAFI bar' axe to grind with the system, but wish to gain an understanding of the perception of respondents - in order to then conduct research and respond to those perceptions; hence asking questions (not loaded) and offering graded options for response.

I may not be a social scientist, well versed in the ninja ways of surveys and statistics, but I would offer the opinion that for you to make such a statement (prejudiced as to the results), without bothering to enquire further into the matter, says more about you than it does the survey.
  15. IMHO, trying to answer the question without completing the rather bland survey.

The Chain of Command starts at LCpl and works its way up. It does not start (contrary to what some would try to say) at Senior Officer level, with the rest of us being mere aggrieved puppets.

If certain members of the C of C at the lower echelons enforced standards (as is why they take the extra pay), we maybe wouldn’t be asking the question.

All who serve on Ops can be put in difficult situations (even those who “burn eggs”), however with strong, robust “lower level leadership” (enforcing basic standards of right from wrong). I would suggest the senior C of C would not be put in a position of “Arrse covering”.

As is oft quoted over 80,000 have served on Op TELIC, yet less than a handful have actually been found guilty of committing an offence. Surely this means the C of C does “Support its people on Ops” (as in the point of the thread), and maybe OPTAG instructors should be making the above point.

We must investigate all allegations of wrongdoing (even if the media try to pre judge our soldiers in a way that would infringe on a civilians Human Rights) to protect our rights to retain our unique judicial process, and I would suggest (and I am open to correction) that those who have ultimately been found guilty of a crime, have actually been guilty.

In summary, we constantly try to teach our soldiers right from wrong. Ultimately they know what is right and what is wrong. So is it a failure of the C of C (at the highest level) to support, or is it a failure of the C of C (at all levels) to enforce discipline?