Survey - Does the Chain of Comd Do Enough for Deployed Pers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by napier, Feb 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I'm doing a project into whether the Chain of Command sufficiently selects, trains, employs and provides legal topcover for its deployed personnel. Central to this study is the viewpoint of the military community. Below is a link to an online survey which intends to gather your perception - serving, TA, ex, interested civvies - even crabs and matelots. Operational experience is not necessary to do the survey. Thanks in advance for your time (and no, I'm not a journalist - the project will be published and, depending on whether its crap or not, it could be read by some quite high up bods).

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?id=144537

2. Done. The survey is short and straightforward.

3. Done. Less than 60 seconds.

4. How big a sample are you looking for & will you be publishing the results here on ARRSE

5. napier

I'll keep the survey running for a few days, hoping for as many hits as possible to give it statistical credibility. I'll happily post the results, and also a link to the finished paper (if its any good).

6. Done.

7. Completed. Very interested in the results and a blimp at the finished paper - no matter how bad you think it is!

8. Can I ask how the views of someone who hasn't been deployed, let alone those of an "an intrerseted civvy"can in any way show "whether the Chain of Command sufficiently selects, trains, employs and provides legal topcover for its deployed personnel"?

Surely only those who have been deployed or select soldiers to be deployed can show a view? Any other perception will be the second hand view of what others say or what is read in the media, much of which is either inaccurate or politically motivated. Moreover the fact that entries are not varified, meaning the same person can enter their views several times or enter different views makes the results of the survey inaccurate and any 'conclusions' drawn from the survey inconclusive at best and flawed at worst.

9. napier

As I said before, I am after the perception of the wider defence community. The views of civilians who are exposed to the national and international press and informed comment on websites such as this have just as much validity for my purposes. If I had wanted only responses from those soldiers who had deployed to Al Amarah during April to Sept 2004, I would have asked for that. That said, statistics must be caveated as being the views of a tiny proportion of the interested demographic and I will, of course, make that clear. As for multiple entries onto a survey with the purpose of highlighting genuine concerns, only a complete tool would do that, wouldn't they?

10. Done, should make for interesting reading

11. Done. (You have been - as the SQMS said to me)

12. Done.

Not wishing to start an arguement but coming from a Trg Analysis background you missed one KEY peice of info IMHO - whether those answering were Officers or Soliders.

Do you wish to have additional free text feedback as well? Ahppy to pm you if you wish.

Time for tea and medals....

13. napier

Jailor,
    I did think of asking which rank/trade respondents were, but I wasn't sure, given the small size of the survey, whether it would be statistically significant or not, so I thought I'd go for the broad brush approach. My aim is to gain a feel among those who have an interest, and I felt in the end that just breaking things down by service/serving status would be enough. That said, any handy tips on how to manage the results would be gratefully received.