Surrey snobs stop SSAFA House

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by blacky, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting to know the views of the 'yuppy millionaires' in Surrey, regarding our injured troops:

Hi everyone, just thought I'd bring this to your attention. But for luck or the grace of God many of us could be in Headley Court. It seems the inhabitants of Surrey don't think much of injured soldiers "lowering" the tone of their area. So please get onto the Government site and vote for this to go ahead. SSAFA are buying a house close to Headley Court so that the relatives of the wounded and injured servicemen and women being treated there will have somewhere to stay, making it easier to visit and support them through their recovery. Unfortunately, around 100 local residents have submitted strong objections (See Daily Mail excerpt below) The planning application can be read here, as can the ludicrous objections submitted by some local residents - please take the time to write your own Letter of Representation, there may well be a time when you or a loved one needs to use Headley Court

Please, please, please sign the petition at ~

It really will only take a few minutes. PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU CAN. WE ONLY HAVE A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO MAKE A STAND. THANK YOU ALL! From the Daily Mail: "The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association, which has applied to the local council to make some alterations at the property, including installing a wheelchair ramp, had been hoping for no objections.

After all, Headley Court had been part of the area for more than 60 years.

But residents apparently do mind. They have flooded the council with almost 100 letters of protest, raising every conceivable objection to the new property being used to house families visiting soldiers.

They claimed 'additional noise' and 'huge amount of additional traffic' would ruin the peace of the private lane and warned that the value of their multi-million-pound properties would plummet.

The families 'would not be welcome', they said, and their arrival could 'destroy the character' of the area.

One resident even objected on security grounds, claiming the house could become a terrorist target, while another suggested wheelchairs would present a fire hazard.

Planners at Mole Valley District Council will consider the case on August 1 but last night serving soldiers made their views clear.

One Army officer recently returned from Iraq told the Mail: "They make me sick. It's just staggeringly selfish.

"Perhaps these people would care to come out to the field hospital in Basra and tell some young soldier having his leg amputated after a [bomb] attack exactly why his family isn't worthy to rub shoulders with this bunch in their Surrey village.

"Who do they think they are? Do they have the slightest clue about the sacrifices-young soldiers make on their behalf every day? Shame on them."

SSAFA spokesman Athol Hendry said: "These people should be ashamed of themselves. This level of hostility is incredibly disappointing and frankly astonishing.

"If you've just got back from risking your life in Iraq, you've lost two legs and you learn your young family are not welcome near the hospital where you're being treated - what kind of a message is that?"

When the Mail tried to speak to residents, none would be quoted"

Well there's a thing eh.

Obviously nothing has changed in Surrey since the days of Rudyard Kipling:

by Rudyard Kipling (1865– 1936)

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
    But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
    We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!
  2. Flash.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Bang
  3. @drain_sniffer, blacky won't understand your cryptic clue :D
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Blacky. Much as we appreciate your laudable efforts to highlight this sensitive issue, you may wish to have a look at a couple of the FACKING HUGE threads this topic has generated, and which are currently taking centre stage on this forum (and have been for some time).

There are thousands of arrsers who have already signed the petition.

For your benefit, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, and it's called the (modified) 9 p's:

5. The main topic on current affairs is now over 145 pages long. we have managed over 8000 signatures so far.