Surprise Reunion of Vietnam Comrades

Thanks to the considerable efforts of SWMBO, I had a wonderful surprise on my birthday today. She tracked down 2 members from my unit in my last Vietnam tour who I had not seen since they loaded me on a stretcher for medevac.

They each drove all the way from Kentucky and Tennessee to see me and I feel very honored and humbled.

In many ways it is as if our last seeing each other was yesterday---of course until you take a look at us old warhorses. I very much appreciate SWMBO' s kindness in pulling this together.

Thanks to the considerable efforts of SWMBO, I had a wonderful surprise on my birthday today. She tracked down 2 members from my unit in my last Vietnam tour who I had not seen since they loaded me on a stretcher for medevac.
They each drove all the way from Kentucky and Tennessee to see me and I feel very honored and humbled.
In many ways it is as if our last seeing each other was yesterday---of course until you take a look at us old warhorses. I very much appreciate SWMBO' s kindness in pulling this together.
It is an amazing phenomenon isn't it. I went to a boarding school in New Jersey. I never got back there until my 25th and later 50th reunion. You get into conversation and it is like you just saw them a week ago. A wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Happy birthday.

Glad to hear you had a good birthday and celebrated in style, happy centennial laddie

Happy Birthday jumpinjarhead, and here's to many more of 'em! That must have been an incredible reunion.

Happy Birthday jumpinjarhead, and here's to many more of 'em! That must have been an incredible reunion.
Many thanks. It is proving to be. They (my plt sgt and corpsman) had apparently thought I was a goner at the time and only learned later I had made it (due to the great work by the docs in Danang). Due to the vagaries of orders and the personnel turbulence in that era we never crossed paths again and they went on to leave the service and have full lives afterward so a LOT of catching up to do mixed with some painful memories of others we fought with who never made it home.

ugly

LE
Did you get your boots back?

ETA, happy birthday forgive me for not saying so earlier

Happy birthday mate, what an awesome birthday present. Well done to SWMBO for tracking your old mates down.

Felicitations JJH. That's how real friendships work. The hounds know this and will always welcome you the same way, whether you've been gone ten minutes or ten weeks.

A lovely set up by your LHG - Happy Birthday JJH!
As @DavidBOC says, it doesn’t matter how long has passed between reunions, it is almost like you have never parted once it happens.
I’ve just completed a mini tour of the UK, on retirement (and encouraged by my own LHG), meeting up with some of my old colleagues who I’m connected to via FB. A busy, tiring week on the road, but in every case, we rolled back the years and took up where we left off and the laughter flowed. In some cases, we hadn’t met for over 45 years (since we left boy service and went our separate ways).
I would heartily recommend it to anyone who is in a similar situation - very therapeutic. We only get one shot at this life after all.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
That is some real work there to make your birthday one you’ll never forget. Great drills by Mrs JJH and hats off to you too.

Happy birthday and hope there are loads more to come.
SWMBO = what every CO needs, a combination of Adjt and RSM.

Last edited:

Latest Threads