"Surplus" uniform/ bad optics, or good business?

I’ve always wondered what’s offensive about a shower bag?
Douche bag? It's an enema for a lady's front bottom.

longtimeout

War Hero
I’ve always wondered what’s offensive about a shower bag? No wonder they are confused as a nation
My local American agrees with Clarksons view on 250 million ******* in a country with no word for ******!
While we’re on this tangent, can alone explain the use of “skippy” as an insult?

To me it’s a small kangaroo. Obviously an obscure compliment, if not a pretty pisspoor effort at slagging off.

Last edited:
When people use the phrase "Polish American" or Irish American they are saying where they're ancestors came from and not that they themselves are Polish.
It does seem to be a peculiarly American affectation though, and there are certainly some sections of America that do consider themselves to be whatever the bit before "American" is, even if it is multiple generations ago.

It does seem to be a peculiarly American affectation though, and there are certainly some sections of America that do consider themselves to be whatever the bit before "American" is, even if it is multiple generations ago.

Well I can't say I've ever come across that and I've been here 30+ years. Folks might say what their heritage is if asked but for the most part they will tell you they are American.

Well I can't say I've ever come across that and I've been here 30+ years. Folks might say what their heritage is if asked but for the most part they will tell you they are American.
Biden seems keen to tell people he's a paddy.

Biden seems keen to tell people he's a paddy.

President Biden probably doesn't know what day it is let alone his ancestry. That and he's using it to collect votes more than likely.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well the septics must have a Jubilee every day.
They do! They aren't ruled by the filthy bastard British any more!

Extraordinary that these folks go on about how baaaaad the British were when they are a byword for modern imperialism.

They should embrace it and stop complaining - we could bring back this fellow otherwise:

1653847825378.png

While we’re on this tangent, can alone explain the use of “skippy” as an insult?

To me it’s a small kangaroo. Obviously an obscure compliment, if not a pretty pisspoor effort at slagging off.
Can't help you there, I'm still wondering why people use "Sheep shagger" as an insult.

They do! They aren't ruled by the filthy bastard British any more!

Extraordinary that these folks go on about how baaaaad the British were when they are a byword for modern imperialism.

They should embrace it and stop complaining - we could bring back this fellow otherwise:

View attachment 666568
The Colonials have suffered enough. Not only was Tarleton a nasty piece of work it gets worse. He was a Scouser.

Can't help you there, I'm still wondering why people use "Sheep shagger" as an insult.
Read the original "Cider with Rosie" :

"Manslaughter, arson, robbery, rape cropped up regularly throughout the years. Quiet incest flourished where the roads were bad; some found their comfort in beasts; and there were the usual friendships between men and boys who walked through the fields like lovers. Drink, animality, and rustic boredom were responsible for most. The village neither approved nor disapproved, but neither did it complain to authority. Sometimes our sinners were given hell, taunted, and pilloried, but their crimes were absorbed in the local scene and their punishment confined to the parish."

All happens out ere' in the sticks mind young'un........

Last edited:

ugly

LE
How about slimeball? Is that past it's sell by date ?
Not really an insult, I reckon half if not most of US so called insults would be considered as terms of endearment on here!

Not really an insult, I reckon half if not most of US so called insults would be considered as terms of endearment on here!
They don’t understand us

Insults are of course just words.

Most of the time here the most abusive language is reserved for the most loved people, you can’t tell your lifelong best friend how important they are, but you can call him a cock and shave off his eyebrows

Context will help a little, you won’t be calling a random in the pub even the lightest of names unless you feel like taking them outside to complete the conversation

Americans really don’t understand us, there was an article some time ago about the horror of how soccer football ‘hero’ and all round goody two shoes Gary Linekar was portrayed stealing crips from children for the purposes of advertising

This RFD originates from a Post with a photo in Current Affairs - Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine, in which a recovered combatants body was pictured, found wearing an article of uniform with a sewn (but not OEM?) Union Flag patch, and a Royal Marine Commando shoulder patch.

My personal view is that this is a "bad thing". Both sides could use this to impute a particular country's support, to cause difficulties for any diplomatic activity, or to enrage one faction or another.

The most likely origin of this piece of kit was that it was on the surplus market, and bought by a privateer, contractor or volunteer quite legally. Somebody engaged, and killed, in the Rus/Ukr conflict can't really be accusing of walting around,
and no doubt hoped that it was good kit. Certainly it was a once in a lifetime purchase ...

Some nations have very strict rules about the removal of all patches/slides/TRFs name tags and subsequent destruction of recognisable national uniform.

My view is informed by the way that, as a non-serving civvy, I would be required to dress appropriately whilst on base, and would be allocated kit which bore no unit/rank insignia - only a name tag could be applied. Very protective of what the insignia stood for indeed, so I find it strange that items can be disposed of with such little care.

It is of course possible that the jacket was worn by the original issuee - should insignia have been removed?

( FAO @Nemesis44UK and any others who might have a view )
How is this even an issue?
Russia funds the Wagner Group, a mercenary unit, and even if they did not, why do you care about the opinion of a nation with a mindset that finds the stealing of children's toys after the owners have been raped, acceptable behaviour?

longhair

Old-Salt
How is this even an issue?
Leverage and optics.
two sides of a similar coin:
and sorry to link a Daily Wail, but that's the exact point:

also

Sure, one can discuss the nuanced difference between contractors, advisors, trainers, mercs, and BATT,
but this is also a war of appearances, and twitter/telegram posts.
In a war zone wearing kit with a Royal Marine Commando patch, and a Union Flag - what does that look like? What can it be made to look like? Can be advantageous to either side.

two sides of a similar coin:
The coin is not similar at all though.
Yes, I saw how you dodged that.
One side is a brutal invader, the other is fighting for survival and needs all the help possible, comrade.