Surplus Stores and Rat Packs

Has anyone else tried to locate any rat packs from surplus stores lately?

They are a bit like hens teeth at the moment, noone seems to be able to get any.

Some are even saying that MOD is cracking down on the sale of them too.

Anyone know of any sources in West Yorkshire?

Cheers

No idea
Presumably you are a bored bod at the MOD looking to see if you've missed out any surplus stores in your quest to put an end to rat packs being sold off on the quiet?

ha i wish!

Just been hunting around desperately for some for a festival trip next weekend.

New to TA and found this forum its brilliant!

I think your best bet is Fleabay mate.

There has been a huge clamp down in Rats being sold on the net and as surplus. F**K knows why. (If anyone does know, that would be cool) Or spend an arm and a leg at an outdoor store. Wayfayrer/ westlefoods are the company that makes them as far as I know.

Hope this is a little help

cow741 said:
jack-daniels said:
I have been told that the new ration packs are starred items. Surely that can't be true?
excuse the n00b moment, but what do you mean by starred?
When you get stuff from the stores that's expensive or hard to come by it's classed as a starred item i.e: a G10 watch.

cheers fellas.

Ive had a look on fleabay and they seem to be selling them for around the tenner mark at the cheapest (i used to get them from surplus for 5 or 6 quid) and i think thats just too much.

In the meantime ill keep hunting!

I found out recently that the reason the mod dont like surplus shops selling them, its because the chocolate, yorkie I believe, is substandard and actually a waste product of Black Magic chocolates. Since Black Magic haven't been sold for a number of years the waste product that was stored in huge vats in York is now running low. This is why at the end of an exercise the DS and QM will ask for all part used ration packs to be returned. The choccy can only be safely eaten by squaddies and in certain conditions by cadets, this is due to the tolerance the body builds up by being exposed to Hexy fumes. Hence the health warning "Not for Civvys"

some of my mates do laugh at me for bringin that stuff out but then they arent laughing when i get hotpot out at 1am and they're fannying around with noodles trying to curb the munchies.

Plus you cant make grub and a brew at the same time with noodles!

Mr_Deputy said:
cow741 said:
some of my mates do laugh at me for bringin that stuff out but then they arent laughing when i get hotpot out at 1am and they're fannying around with noodles trying to curb the munchies.

My advice is good. I'll rearrange your words so they make a bit more sense to me. The objective of the festival is not really a field craft exercise its more about using your noodle, getting someone's fanny out at 1am and trying to slip your noodle into it. I think they'll be more jealous of you curbing your ration-fetish and munching on some rock chick's grubby hotpot instead.

Plus don't do drugs if you are in the TA. (Advice.)
i concur wholeheartedly.

And the only drugs will be obscene quantities of lager followed by enough paracetamol the next day to kill a horse

edit: or a cow (boom boom)

cow741 said:
Mr_Deputy said:
cow741 said:

My advice is good. I'll rearrange your words so they make a bit more sense to me. The objective of the festival is not really a field craft exercise its more about using your noodle, getting someone's fanny out at 1am and trying to slip your noodle into it. I think they'll be more jealous of you curbing your ration-fetish and munching on some rock chick's grubby hotpot instead.

i concur wholeheartedly.

And the only drugs will be obscene quantities of lager followed by enough paracetamol the next day to kill a horse

That'll be your liver fcuked then :roll: .For compo type scoff try stores like B&M or Home bargains,they're awash with the stuff. :wink: Have a good fezzy.

hedgehog64 said:
cow741 said:
Mr_Deputy said:
cow741 said:

i concur wholeheartedly.

That'll be your liver fcuked then :roll: .For compo type scoff try stores like B&M or Home bargains,they're awash with the stuff. :wink: Have a good fezzy.
what/where are B&M and Home Bargains? Havent found those yet

and fortunately livers regenerate, ill leave it a couple months before i give it another good kicking lol

Aren't they clamping down on surplus packs because they are s'posed to be marketing them under an MOD banner?

Sure I heard that anyway.

If you really want to have boil in the bag go and buy the "Wayfarer" meals at Blacks/Millets/Cotswold etc. They're also available online. £3.50 for a meal - £2.50 for the breakfast. Cheaper than £10 to get a whole load of stuff you'd bin (pate, biscuits brown (throw them my way actually - run out!), oatmeal block etc). Also they taste slightly better quality. I've also NEVER seen a wayfarer "Corned Beef Hash" - which can only be a good thing. The thought of lukewarm corned beef hash actually makes my stomach churn.... 5 years later!

ive never managed to eat a whole pack in one day but i usually take the odds and sods, like the brown biscuits and the boiled sweets off to the hills on day walks instead.

some randomly good stuff! ill be sorry when you cant get them at all any more.

i have seen some of the yank ones which look quite good, like the "first strike ration" which seems ok, prob quite good for festivals too, designed to be grazed upon, eating little and often.

you really are overthinking this festival feeding lark aren't you - 'First strike ration' for living in a tent for a few days in between gigs and being passed out sleeping off the drink?

Our CQ's haven't dished us up rations for feckin ages now, its all central feeding, range stew and bread! If thats good enough for greenside training then I doubt American rations meant to feed blokes as they make big holes in small countries is really required for your moshing activities...

Just get some bacon and sausages, a Trangia and a few disposable bbqs and you'll be squared away.

1. Go on month long exercise.

2. Don't eat anything. At all. All month.

3. (Assuming you survive) Enjoy your newly earned stash of festival scran.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Army Reserve 35
B The NAAFI Bar 105
B Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4