Surplus Sales - Insanity ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Trossachs, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Welcome to the modern world and the Defence Industrial Strategy!

Please don't ask Defence Sales for a justification for this one - I'm sure one exists in their heads but it will not make sense to the rest of us.

2. More importantly, would you buy anything from a supplier that claims a lifetime mileage of "low" for a 432?

3. The days of having rows of spare vehicles parked up at Catterick and Donnington 'just in case' are long gone. Unfortunately the Army was dragged kicking and screaming into the same twaddle that the RAF and RN have been subject to since the early 80's, namely 'just in time' logistics, which unfortunately normally means 'just out of time' due to having to deal with civil companies who measure lead times in months not days.

'Unused' vehicles were easy prey for the bean counters and the answer to "why have all these vehicles being serviced and kept on charge if we don't use them" obviously wasn't good enough.

4. whats more, the treasury clever bills us an annual charge for everything we hold. So we have no option to get rid of anything surplus to immediate requirements or we end up paying for it twice over.

5. A Sabre for £7,500? I'll take 2! :D

6. Yup. it's all down to the bean counters. To be honest there's a lot of money sat around doing nothing. I'd rather get some decent body armour than have to pay to service a couple of Sabre's that have been sat in Depot for the last 20 years.

7. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just imagine if a Regt bought a couple out of PRI funds. Would this:

a. Embaress the MoD so much that they got all this b*llocks squared away rather than pandering to civvy firms?

b. Give the Treasury a super idea on how to cut defence funds even more?

8. I bought a 'brand new' landy from withams with less than 100 miles on the clock for £5000. been in store for 12 years!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A lot of the stuff is random, quite a bit is surplus prior to delivery, the MOD cancels or decrees an order filled and the supplier then ditches of the stock it had built up with a view to flogging on later.
    I worked at a defence contractor as suppliers QC engineer, not on a military contract though. I used to be given lots of thingswhen I checked our stock. The wharehouse was run by an ex queensman I used to take on range days and he knew I stalked. The kit was lying around in all sorts of places and no one knew what it was or why it was there!

10. Does that extend to clothing?

Looking around field textiles (Wholesale distributor of most of the Forces and Police surplus clothing) and they had many items still in there original wrappers, therefore unissued, and now going surplus for peanuts!

Example : New, unissued, still wrapped S95 fleece. £3 approx

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Surplus is just that, sat on the shelfs at ord depots, stuff thats recovered from troops dekitting, exchanges etc has to be sold as cotton waste. I have had some real bargains searching that lot!

12. Manufacturers make excessive amounts of clothing i.e. The MOD orders 200,000 shirts the makers will produce 250,000 in case the MOD changes the order. They're onto a winner as they know there is a big market out there.

So a lot of surplus isn't military surplus but civvy surplus..... 8O

13. used to work there, you would be amazed how many civis can be fooled by a nice paint job :lol:

14. What saddo is going to pay 1240 quid for a Mk 5 assualt boat??